Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Spireites Women bow out of League Cup

2 March 2020

Sponsored by

Chesterfield FC Women went out of the League Cup on Sunday when they lost 5-4 at Woodlands after extra-time.

The Spireites went into the game knowing it was going to be a tough afternoon, playing against a team from the league above them and they started well, playing some good football and creating some half chances in the early stages.

Izzy Lonsdale went close in the 20th minute with a strike from the edge of the box but the Woodlands keeper held well.

The game then came to life with ten minutes to go before half time. Firstly, Woodlands took the lead when a stray ball fell to the feet of Jody Scott who carefully guided the ball into the goal.

Chesterfield responded straight away, going straight on the attack from kick off and Izzy Lonsdale smashed the ball in to the back of the net to equalise.

With two minutes to go before half time, when Ami Buzzeo found herself in some space 20 yards out from goal, she turned, set herself and smashed the ball into the top right corner to give the Spireites the lead going into the break.

Chesterfield controlled possession again in the second half and looked comfortable until a stray pass found its way to Scott’s feet and she pulled Woodlands back level.

Chesterfield, knowing the game was there to be won, went straight back on the attack and Kel Fidler produced some outstanding work on the left-hand side, found herself inside the six-yard box and smashed home to regain the lead.

The Spireites looked comfortable, continued to create chances and but for the Woodlands keeper, the lead could have been extended.

Woodlands managed to pull themselves level once again when a clearance ricocheted off the ever- present striker Scott and ended up in the back of the net.

In what was proving to be a testing day for the Spireites resilience, they went on the attack again and after a brilliant pull back from Courtney Caunt, Beth Smyth managed to slot the ball into the bottom corner to make the 4-3.

With one minute to play, Woodlands were awarded a corner which was kicked straight out of play for a goal kick. The referee pulled the game back and awarded a penalty, ruling that one of the home players had been pushed. Katie Mayfield took the penalty and equalised for Woodlands, taking the game to extra time.

Woodlands took the lead in the first half of extra time when Scott latched on to a through ball and scored after the flag stayed down.

Chesterfield are back in action on Wednesday evening when they head to Arnold Town Ladies in the league.


Advertisement block