Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Cup victory for CFC Women

23 September 2019

Sponsored by

Chesterfield FC Women progressed in the Women's FA Cup on Sunday when they beat Cookley Sports Ladies 2-0 at Glapwell with Izzy Lonsdale scoring both goals.

The Blues started brightly when they attacked dangerously down the right with Amy Townsend seeing her cross was blocked.

From the resulting corner, Sammy Stokes met Leoni Everley’s centre but her volley went just over the bar.

After a quiet ten-minute spell, the Spireites started to attack with intent and bombarded the Cookley defence as they looked for an opener.

Everley fired in a free kick from just outside the Cookley box but her effort was well saved.

On 16 minutes, Gina Camfield had a chance to open the scoring when Ami Buzzeo worked the ball well down the left and whipped in a low ball but Camfield couldn’t quite connect.

After 25 minutes, the Spireites broke the deadlock when Camfield beat the off-side trap and fired low at the keeper who got down well initially but Izzy Lonsdale was there to smash home from close range.

Two minutes later, Chesterfield went two-up when a corner from the right whipped in by Everley was met by Camfield whose header was cleared off the line superbly, only for Lonsdale to convert again from close range.

The Spireites dominated possession and looked comfortable with Becky Bryan bringing the ball out from the back and looking dangerous.

Chesterfield were forced into an early substitution when Amy Townsend looked to have rolled her ankle whilst keeping the ball in on 35 minutes and Paige Singleton took her place.

Mike Noon will have been pleased with the work ethic of his side after a scrappy opening spell, where from then they looked dangerous going forward in every attack.

Shortly before the hour-mark, Buzzeo shrugged off her marker on the edge of the box and got a shot in but her effort was straight at the keeper.

Lonsdale then got the better of a defender and burst into the penalty area but her shot was well saved down low by the keeper.

Cookley registered their first shot on goal after 66 minutes when a free kick on the edge of the box looked set to deceive Nic Watson but she timed her jump well and clutched the ball.

With ten minutes to play, Noon gave an FA Cup debut to 16-year-old Rachael Kelly who came on in place of Buzzeo.

The Spireites advanced to the next round where they will face a home tie against Bedworth United on October 6.

Advertisement block