Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Defeat against Halifax

3 September 2019

Sponsored by

The Spireites slipped to a 3-2 defeat at home to FC Halifax Town on Tuesday night after coming back from 3-0 down with Mike Fondop and Joe Rowley scoring in the second half.

The starting line-up showed a couple of changes with Jermaine McGlashan and Liam Mandeville replacing Robbie Weir and Josef Yarney.

Michael Duckworth put an effort wide before the visitors took an eighth minute lead when Jamie Allen received a through ball on the right-hand side of the area and fired past Luke Coddington from a tight angle.

Scott Boden threatened to equalise when he headed wide from a Will Evans cross.

After Jack Earing shot wide from distance, Rowley tried a 20-yard effort which went over.

Tobi Sho-Silva looked set to find a way through before Coddington reacted smartly to narrow the angle and block his shot from the right-hand side of the area.

McGlashan’s pace caused problems for the opposition when he ran at the defence before he lost control inside the area and the ball went out for a goal kick.

Halifax went close to extending their lead when Cameron King’s shot beat Coddington but thumped against the bar.

Shortly afterwards, in the 33rdminute, Halifax did go further ahead when Nathan Clarke’s header from a corner saw the ball take a deflection on its way into the net.

Fondop got on the end of a McGlashan cross but headed the ball wide.

Anthony went close to pulling a goal back in first-half stoppage time when his goal-bound header was cleared off the line.

Just before the break, Liam McAlinden fired in a low drive which was saved by Coddington.

King added a third goal two minutes after the re-start, firing into the net from the right-hand side of the area.

Fondop (50) pulled a goal back, meeting McGlashan’s cross from the right with a volley.

A cross from Laurence Maguire just evaded Fondop as the Spireites went in search of a goal to make a game of it.

Mandeville then tried to play Rowley in with an incisive ball which was just too far in front of him.

Gerrard made an important challenge inside the area as McAlinden looked to find a way through.

Fondop shot straight at keeper Sam Johnson from the edge of the area.

As Sho-Silva threatened to pounce on a low cross, Evans did well to get there ahead of him inside the six-yard box and clear the ball for a corner.

Mandeville fired in a free-kick which was on target but Johnson made a comfortable save.

Johnson then made a fine save to keep out Mandeville’s low shot in the closing stages.

Rowley gave Chesterfield hope a minute from time when he scored with a low shot from outside the area, the ball going in off Johnson's left-hand post.

The Spireites were unable to force an equaliser, however.

Spireites: Coddington, Evans, Maguire, Hollis (Yarney 73), Gerrard, Smith, Rowley, McGlashan (Weston 57), Mandeville, Boden (McKay 82), Fondop

Unused subs: Jalal & Sheridan

Attendance: 3,844

Advertisement block