Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Spireites draw at Aldershot

30 November 2019

Sponsored by

An added time equaliser from Tom Denton secured a draw for the Spireites at Aldershot as they battled back from a goal down twice at the EBB Stadium on Saturday.

John Sheridan made four changes from the Hartlepool match on Tuesday night. Anthony Gerrard, David Buchanan and Curtis Weston all returned to the starting eleven, with Matt Tootle starting to make his Chesterfield debut.

Aldershot right back Robbie Tinkler had the first shot of the game just over five minutes in after a free-kick from the left was headed clear. Tinkler struck a half volley first time from distance but Luke Coddington was able to watch it fly way over his crossbar.

Scott Boden looked the most threatening for the visitors in the opening in stages but couldn’t make the most of good crosses from Weston and David Buchanan.

The Spireites then began to build into the game with just under 25 minutes of the first half gone. Debutant Tootle tested Mitch Walker from 20 yards out but the Aldershot stopper was right behind the strike.

Just a few minutes later Gevaro picked up the ball and made a great run towards the penalty area. The Curacao international curled an effort towards the top right-hand corner but placed it narrowly wide.

Aldershot created a golden opportunity to open the scoring in the thirty-sixth minute as Mo Bettamer met a Lewis Kinsella cross at the back post. The striker’s header from a few yards out looked to be going in, however, Gerrard flung himself in the way of the ball to make a brilliant recovering block.

New signing Tootle managed to get in front of his marker to get to a Buchanan cross which was delivered to the back post, although the right-back could only volley over.

Unfortunately for the Spireites, the home side took the lead just moments later. Bettamer went down in the box and was awarded a penalty, Ethan Chislett stepped up to take and tucked it into the left-hand corner (45+2).

The Spireites responded just five minutes into the second half. Gerrard got up well to head a corner towards goal and Boden was alert to flick the ball into the top right corner (50).

The visitors built on their early second-half goal with Gevaro finding space in the area to get on the end of a Jay Sheridan cross from the left, but the winger directed it over Walker’s crossbar.

Tinkler produced a pinpoint cross to Bettamer in the area, the forward rose highest to meet it but glanced his header over Coddington and his bar.

The host retook the lead in the 70th minute as a challenge from Weston on Chislett inadvertently came to Jack Powell in the box and the midfielder slid it past the Chesterfield goalkeeper.

Chesterfield immediately looked to get back on level terms and almost did just that as substitute Denton headed the ball into the turf after a corner came in. The striker’s effort bounced towards goal but was scrambled away off the line by Kinsella.

The Spireites kept probing and got their equaliser in the final moments of stoppage time. Weston clipped a perfect cross to the back post for Denton to meet and the big forward squeezed the ball in at the near post (90+4).


Spireites: Coddington, Tootle (McGlashan, 80), Evans (C), Gerrard, Maguire, Sheridan, Buchanan (Mandeville, 80), Weston, Shaw (Denton, 50), Gevaro, Boden

Subs (unused): Jalal, Rowley

Attendance: 1,637 (94 Chesterfield supporters)

Advertisement block