Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Women reach cup semi-final

19 November 2019

Sponsored by

Chesterfield FC Women progressed to the semi-finals of the Derbyshire County Cup with a win on penalties against Derby County Ladies Development on Sunday.

Chesterfield were away from home against the current holders and looking to bounce back following last weekend's league defeat.

They started strongly with the first chance of the game falling to Paige Singleton, who latched onto Beth Smyth’s through ball, but her shot was well-saved by the keeper and eventually cleared away.

Five minutes later, at the opposite end, Nic Watson pulled off an unbelievable save to deny the Derby forward giving the home side the lead.

Chesterfield then had a good spell of possession and controlled the game until, out of the blue, Derby took the lead.

On 20 minutes, a through ball found the striker and there were claims for off-side but no flag came and she tucked the ball under Watson to score.

Chesterfield then spung back to life after conceding in the hunt for an equaliser and it came on the stroke of half time.

Becky Bryan picked the ball up and ran at the Derby defence where some quick footwork found her in the penalty area where she calmly slotted the ball past the keeper to send both sides in level at half time.

The second half started and the Spireites were in full control with Smyth nearly putting the Blues in front when her low driven shot whistled just past the post.

On the hour-mark Mike Noon made his first substitution, bringing Izzy Lonsdale off and replacing her with Ami Buzzeo who almost latched onto a Paige Singleton through ball but it just evaded her.

With ten minutes to play, Derby nearly won it, number 8 causing danger, making her way into the area and somehow Watson made a block to keep the Spireites in the game.

Robyn Henton then replaced Kelly Fidler and turned the game on its head, playing a carefully measured pass into the track of Singleton, who went through one-on-one and lobbed the keeper with ten minutes left to play.

The Spireites defended frantically in the latter stages of the game but were hit late on when a wonderfully struck cross fell at the feet of the Derby striker who finished to send the game to penalties.

Following a tense shoot-out, the Spireites came away victorious to take their place in the semi-finals.

Advertisement block