Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Women defeated on mentally-tough afternoon

11 November 2019

Sponsored by

Chesterfield FC Women were edged out 4-3 at top-of-the-table Hykeham Town on Sunday afternoon with the match marred by a broken leg suffered by Gina Camfield.

The Lincolnshire side started strongly with Green racing in behind the Spireites back line and she would have scored but for some outstanding goalkeeping from Nic Watson to deny her.

The Spireites came into the game and started to play some of the football that is expected of them, creating some good opportunities from wide areas and making Hykeham work hard to get the ball back.

On 20 minutes, the Spireites were rewarded for their hard work when Robyn Henton’s free kick was parried by the Hykeham keeper and Kelly Fidler pounced, thumping the ball into the roof of the net to open the scoring.

Hykeham pressed hard to try and find an equaliser before half time but the Spireites defended well and took their lead into the break.

The game was turned on its head in the first five minutes of the second half, with Hykeham scoring three goals in in quick succession.

Just 30 seconds after the restart, the hosts were level when Barnes-Ford raced in behind and calmly slotted the ball into the bottom left corner. 

Two minutes later, Hykeham were awarded a penalty after the referee deemed Watson had brought down Green in the penalty area. Barnes-Ford stepped up and confidently slotted the ball into the top right corner.

And then a couple of minutes later, Hykeham found their third. Barnes-Ford played in Churcher who struck the ball over Watson from long range.

The Spireites managed to get a bit of control back on the game and created a few opportunities to get back into the game but the Hykeham keeper made some smart saves.

With an hour on the clock, the Spireites were hit with an even bigger blow when Camfield was injured as she was about to play Paige Singleton a through ball. As she went to strike the ball, an opposition player came in from behind with a strong challenge and Camfield stayed down and looked in a lot of pain.

The game was stopped for 15 minutes whilst Camfield received medical treatment before being taken off on a stretcher. Following a trip to Lincoln Hospital for an X-ray, it was confirmed that Camfield had sustained a fracured fibula.

After the restart, the Spireites were like a team possessed, battling hard, winning every challenge and trying their best to get something out of the game. Becky Bryan raced forward from centre-half, taking on three players in the process and smashed her shot into the top left corner, making it 3-2 and sparking jubilant scenes.

Two minutes later and the Spireites were level when Henton’s corner appeared to go all the way through and into the net.

The game continued deep into added time and the Spireites looked to have rescued a point until the last kick of the game when a Hykeham player shot from distance and the ball flew into the back of the Spireites net. The whistle was blown immediately after the restart.

Advertisement block