Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Draw extends unbeaten run

26 January 2019

Sponsored by

Chesterfield extended their unbeaten run to six games with a goal-less draw at home to Ian Evatt’s Barrow.

 John Sheridan named an unchanged side following last week’s 2-0 win at Aldershot Town. The opposition line-up featured former Spireites pair Sam Hird and Josh Kay. 

Inside the third minute, Chesterfield had a good chance when a cross from Jerome Binnom-Williams found Lee Shaw, who was unable to direct his header on target.

The Spireites threatened again when Shaw broke free on the right-hand side of the area and squad to Jonathan Smith whose low shot was deflected wide.

Curtis Weston tried a shot from distance which was easily gathered by Joel Dixon and then the keeper saved from Marc Antoine Fortune after the striker was put through on goal. 

Shwan Jalal was called into action to make a save after Jacob Blyth tried a shot on the turn from outside the area. 

Fortune put a speculative effort well wide before being replaced before the break. Tom Denton came on to take over from Fortune, who looked as though he had picked up a knock.

Three minutes after the re-start, Sheridan made another enforced change when Joe Rowley came on in place of Bradley Barry, who had suffered an injury shortly before.

Dior Angus put a long-range shot wide for the visitors before Chesterfield went close on the hour-mark. Will Evans had an effort blocked and Kiwomya’s follow-up header was cleared off the line.

Denton then saw his header deflected wide as Chesterfield continued to press.

Evans made a brave block to deny Blyth and when the same player burst into the area moments later, Jalal raced off his line to avert the danger. After receiving treatment, the keeper was able to play on. 

Sheridan made a final change in the 74th minute with Kyel Reid taking over from Kiwomya.

There were a couple of scares for the Spireites inside the space of a few minutes, firstly when Jack Hindle’s shot from inside the area was deflected wide by Haydn Hollis and then when Dan Jones headed just wide from a corner. 

Weston saw his effort deflected over and then had an appeal for a penalty turned down after going down under a challenge from Dixon.

The visitors were reduced to ten men in the 83rd minute when Lee Molyneux received a second booking following a late challenge on Shaw.

Reid had a volley deflected wide late on, which proved to be the final chance of the match.

Chesterfield: Jalal, Barry (Rowley 48), Binnom-Williams, Evans, Hollis, Weston, Weir, Smith, Shaw, Kiwomya (Reid 74), Fortune (Denton 39)

Unused substitutes: Anyon & Beestin.

Attendance: 4,626 (279 away)

Advertisement block