Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Spireites battle back to draw

1 January 2019

Sponsored by

Chesterfield came from behind twice to draw 2-2 at Solihull Moors on New Year’s Day, thanks to goals from Marc-Antoine Fortune and Lee Shaw.

Caretaker-manager John Pemberton made three changes to the side that drew at home to Hartlepool United. Jamie Sharman made his first start for the Spireites, Alfie Beestin and Fortune also made the starting eleven.

The home side were first to create a scoring opportunity early on when Jermaine Hylton cut infield from the left-hand side. The Solihull forward hit his right-footed effort well, but it rose over Callum Burton’s crossbar.

Fortune had a good chance to put the Spireites into the lead when a long ball over the top put the striker through on goal. Unfortunately for the away side, Fortune’s effort was straight at Ryan Boot in the Solihull goal.

Hylton again beat his man on the left and let fly with a shot across goal. His strike flashed across the face of Burton’s goal but had too much power on it for the Solihull strikers who were charging in at the back post.

The home side kept up their early pressure as a loose ball fell to Liam Daly on the right side of the box. The defender managed to get his effort on target, but Haydn Hollis was there to clear it off the line for the Spireites.

Solihull took the lead in the 37th minute when Hylton found himself in plenty of space on the right-hand side of the penalty area. The forward had time to compose himself and poke the ball into the bottom right corner.

The Spireites had an opportunity to level the scoring in added time at the end of the first half when Fortune was played in down the left. The Chesterfield forward struck his left-footed strike well, but it ended up going narrowly wide of the near post.

Chesterfield got themselves level soon after the break when substitute Alex Kiwomya made the most of a Solihull defensive mix up, and passed the ball across the box to Fortune. The striker produced a good piece of skill to avoid a sliding challenge and then rolled the ball into the back of the net (48).

Unfortunately for the Spireites, Solihull went back into the lead soon after as Alex Gudger rose highest from a corner. The Solihull man made good contact with the ball and powered his header into the left-hand corner (50).

Kiwomya was making his presence known after coming off the bench as he got past his man down the left side and cut the ball back to Jonathan Smith. Smith hit his side-footed effort cleanly, but it slid just past Boot’s left post.

The Spireites created another chance just a few minutes later when Jerome Binnom-Williams had space on the left of the box to shoot at goal. He struck his left-footed effort sweetly, but Boot made a good save to keep his side in the lead.

Chesterfield brought the scores back level in the 69th minute when a Kiwomya shot at goal came back off the post. Shaw reacted first and smashed his effort home for his first league goal in a Spireites shirt.

The Spireites almost grabbed all three points when Shaw headed back across goal to Smith. The Chesterfield captain aimed his header towards goal, but the Solihull defence managed to clear it off the line.


Chesterfield: Burton, Sharman (Kiwomya, 45), Evans, Hollis, Barry, Binnom-Williams, Smith ©, Weston, Beestin (Weir, 45), Shaw, Fortune (Rawson, 90+2)

Subs (unused): Anyon, Reid

Attendance: 1375 (459 Spireites supporters)

Advertisement block