Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth match abandoned

19 August 2019

Sponsored by

The Spireites youth team saw their match at Bradford City abandoned after 65 minutes following an injury when they were trailing 2-1.

A goal from Alex Netherwood put the Spireites in the lead before Bradford scored twice to go in front.

The scoring started when a free-kick from Turner was played into a dangerous area before a scramble saw the ball drop to Netherwood (35), who turned and finished neatly from eight yards out. 

The second half started with Bradford having the majority of the possession, without creating many goalscoring chances. However, around the hour-mark, a hopeful long ball caused a mix up between Callum Barlow and Dylan Wharton which led to the Bradford attacker scoring an easy tap-in.

Bradford took the lead shortly afterwards when a strong tackle on Connor Emery left him injured on the floor and the hosts played on and scored with a shot from 30 yards out.

A few minutes later, Turner and the opposition keeper collided, leaving the young Spireite in serious pain. With fears that Turner had suffered a spinal injury, the referee took the decision to abandon the game with around 25 minutes left to play.

Turner was taken to hospital in an ambulance and the good news is that he did not suffer a serious injury. 

Coach Neil Cluxton said: "It was a good performance and if the game had carried on, it could have gone either way.

“We were looking threatening on the counter-attack, but Bradford had a lot of possession in their half without really hurting us too much, other than the mistake which led to the first goal.

“All in all, it was a decent performance and something for us to build on. We will work on a couple of things in training this week and we have a cup game away to Grimsby on Saturday.”

Spireites: Wharton, Brook, Gibson, Geeves, Barlow, Emery (c), Fuertado, Garwood, Smith, Turner, Netherwood.

Subs: England, Tansley, Clogg, Papworth.

Advertisement block