Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Spireites draw at Barnet

17 August 2019

Sponsored by

Mike Fondop netted a brace on his debut at Barnet on Saturday, but the Spireites were pegged back twice by the hosts in a 2-2 draw.

John Sheridan included new signings Fondop and Jermaine McGlashan in the starting eleven. Anthony Gerrard captained the side to make his first start in the league this season.

The Spireites began the first half on the front foot and got themselves an early goal in just the second minute. Josef Yarney delivered a cross from the right which was met by Fondop, who directed his header into the top left corner for a debut goal.

The hosts were to respond immediately to going a goal down as Jack Taylor picked up the ball on the edge of the penalty area. The Barnet man cut back on his right foot and curled a shot past Shwan Jalal (5).

Just a few minutes later Barnet looked to try and take the lead with a cross coming in from the left to Simeon Akinola. The striker was able to steer his effort on goal but Jalal made a comfortable stop.

With just over half of the first 45 minutes gone it was Medy Elito’s turn to test the Chesterfield goalkeeper. A deep cross from captain Callum Reynolds found Elito at the far post but his volley was claimed comfortably by Jalal.

The Spireites then created a chance of their own when new signing McGlashan skipped by his marker on the right and chipped the ball into the box. Liam Mandeville was the man to get his head on the cross but Scott Loach got down well to push the effort away from goal.

The visitors manufactured two opportunities just a few minutes before the break. Mandeville couldn’t get enough power on a header from McGlashan’s cross to get it past Loach and Fondop brought another save out of the goalkeeper after good play from Curtis Weston.

The visitors retook the lead four minutes into the second half and it was debutant Fondop on the scoresheet again. Evans’ clipped ball forward was brought down well by the striker, his first effort was saved but he squeezed the rebound in at the near post.

Chesterfield pushed to extend their advantage with both Mandeville and Boden putting efforts wide of the Barnet goal.

The home side were awarded a penalty for a foul on Ephron Mason-Clark in the Spireites penalty box. Akinola stepped up and put his penalty into the left corner of the net (63).

Fondop went close to notching a debut hat-trick as he directed a strike from a McGlashan cross towards goal. Loach made a good stop but pushed the ball out to Buchanan, the left-back was unfortunate not to score as the Barnet stopper made a brilliant save to keep the scores level.

Five minutes later the referee brought an end to the game with the sides having to share the points.


Spireites: Jalal, Yarney (Smith, 67), Evans, Gerrard ©, Hollis (Sheridan, 67), Buchanan, Weston, McGlashan, Fondop, Boden (Weir, 67), Mandeville

Subs (unused): Coddington, Rowley

Attendance: 1,119

Advertisement block