Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Spireites draw at Dover

6 April 2019

Sponsored by

Despite going close in the final 15 minutes, the Spireites were held to a goalless draw at Dover on Saturday.

John Sheridan made seven changes to the side that beat Dagenham & Redbridge at the Proact last weekend. Joe Anyon, Charlie Carter, Lee Shaw, Robbie Weir, Kyel Reid, Marc-Antoine Fortune all came into the starting XI, and Jack McKay made his first start for the Spireites.

Fortune was the Spireites’ brightest spark early on, beating his man on a couple of occasions to cross in from the right-hand side. However, the experienced striker couldn’t find a teammate with either of his deliveries.

McKay had the first chance of the game when a header put him through on goal just over a quarter of an hour in. The forward hit his right-footed effort well, but Lee Worgan was equal to it and made a good save to his left.

The home side looked as if they were about to take the lead after Jai Reason put Alfie Pavey through on goal with a great pass. Pavey only had Anyon to beat, but Evans made an incredible last-ditch sliding tackle to deny the Dover striker.

With ten minutes of the first half remaining, a quick throw-in gave Stuart Lewis time to have a shot from distance. Luckily for the Spireites, his well-hit effort flew into the side netting.

The imposing Inih Effiong was causing the Chesterfield back three problems and used his physicality to get past Josef Yarney. However, his shot from the edge of the Spireites’ penalty area rose way over Anyon’s crossbar.

The visitors looked to create an opening just before the break after smart interplay from Carter and Fortune allowed the striker space to have a shot at goal. Fortune side-footed his effort on target but Worgan gathered it comfortably.

Eight minutes into the second half the Spireites threatened down the left through Fortune who crossed low in towards McKay. The striker got to the cross first but his left-footed effort was blocked well.

The hosts were unfortunate not to take the lead just before the 70th-minute mark when Kevin Lokko headed towards goal from a free kick, but the Chesterfield defenders were on hand to clear off the line.

As the game entered the last ten minutes, Fortune cut past his marker inside the box and let fly with a left-footed strike. Worgan made a good save but parried the ball into the path of substitute Alex Kiwomya, who could only blaze his shot over the bar.

Laurence Maguire and Kiwomya both had shots blocked in the final few minutes, but the game ended goalless.


Chesterfield: Anyon, Evans ©, Maguire, Carter (Denton, 75), Shaw (Kiwomya, 75), Weir, Hollis, Reid, McKay (Barry, 58), Fortune, Yarney

Subs (unused): Jalal, Chapman

Attendance: 1,348 (248 Chesterfield supporters)

Advertisement block