Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Spireites complete stunning comeback

5 January 2019

Sponsored by

Chesterfield came from 3-0 down at half-time to draw 3-3 at home to Ebbsfleet United following a stunning second-half comeback. In a dramatic finale, Will Evans equalised deep into stoppage time before taking over in goal following Callum Burton's sending off and saving a penalty!

Two minutes in, Chesterfield had their first effort on goal. Jonathan Smith shot from far out, but his effort was comfortably held by goalkeeper Nathan Ashmore.

In the 23rd minute, Chesterfield found themselves a goal behind. A neat move sent Michael Cheek through and he went down as he attempted to round Burton and a penalty was awarded. Burton was booked and Cheek slotted the penalty home to put the visitors ahead.

From a quick turnover in possession, Smith quickly slotted a great ball to Lee Shaw, who burst into the box and went past Ashmore, but the angle was tight and his cross was cleared.

Three minutes before the break, Ebbsfleet doubled their lead. A long ball was sent down the right wing and Cody McDonald beat Haydn Hollis to the ball on the touchline before slotting the ball past Burton, which went in off the post.

In first-half stoppage time, Ebbsfleet made it three. Tom Denton was dispossessed in the opposition’s box and Ebbsfleet were quick break forward and send Bagasan Graham down the right wing. He wriggled his way into the box and coolly finished past Burton.

After the re-start, Ebbsfleet picked up where they left off. Following a quick turnover McDonald burst into the box and forced a good save from Burton from point-blank range.

The Spireites had a great chance when Ashmore came for a cross but missed and Shaw’s follow-up was blocked on the line for a corner.

Chesterfield attacked again and this time Curtis Weston tried his luck after cutting inside but his low effort was well held by Ashmore.

In the 64th minute, Chesterfield's pressure finally paid off when full-back Bradley Barry aimed a great cross to Denton, who headed into the net from close range.

A great through ball found Shaw on the byline and on the stretch he directed the ball to Fortune, but from a tight angle he was unable to trouble Ashmore, who held comfortably.

With a quarter of an hour left to play, the Spireites cursed their luck when Kyel Reid’s corner saw Fortune direct the ball onto the chest of Hollis, forcing a splendid reaction save from Ashmore to deny the centre-half.

Adams forced a good save from Burton at close range. From there Shaw picked up the ball and rounded Myles Weston and spotted the run of Fortune, but his pass was slightly over-hit and was cut out.

With eight minutes to play, the Spireites were back in the game. Denton flicked on a long ball and Fortune brought it down and rounded Ashmore to slot the ball home.

Deep into stoppage time, Chesterfield finally had their equaliser when Reid cut in from the left-hand side and aimed a superb cross to Evans whose powerful header beat Ashmore to put the Spireites level.

The match ended in chaos when, after holding a shot, Burton was sent-off following an off the ball incident and the referee pointed to the spot. Evans put on the gloves and heroically saved Cheek’s penalty to save a point for the Spireites. The whistle was blown and the match ended 3-3.

Chesterfield: Burton, Sharman (Denton, 35), Evans, Hollis, Barry, Binnom-Williams, Smith ©, Weston, Beestin (Weir, 45), Shaw, Fortune.
Substitutes: Anyon, Weir, Reid, Rawson, Denton

Attedance: 4,123, (177 away)

Advertisement block