Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Spireites beaten by Maidenhead

25 September 2018

Sponsored by

Goals from Herson Alves (2) and Ryan Upward saw Chesterfield fall to a disappointing 3-1 defeat at home to Maidenhead United on Tuesday night. Marc-Antoine Fortune netted for the Spireites from the penalty spot.

Manager Martin Allen made three changes following Saturday's defeat against Gateshead. Robbie Weir, Laurence Maguire and Fortune came in for Kyel Reid, Haydn Hollis and Lee Shaw.

Despite promising early Spireites pressure, Maidenhead took the lead in the eighth minute. A defensive mix up allowed Herson Alves to round Shwan Jalal and put Maidenhead into the lead.

Chesterfield made several forays forward, aiming several long balls towards Tom Denton - the big centre forward proving problematic for Maidenhead’s defence - but the Spireites struggled to create opportunities from his knockdowns.

Five minutes before half time, an indirect free-kick found the head of Michael Nelson, but unfortunately the centre half couldn’t steer the ball goalward.

The Spireites continued the pressure and Jerome Binnom-Williams and Charlie Carter both had efforts blocked on the edge of the box before Maidenhead cleared their lines.

On the stroke of half time, Chesterfield applied even more pressure when Curtis Weston received the ball 30 yards out and drove a powerful effort goalward, forcing a strong parry from keeper Carl Pentney. The ball fell to Carter, who switched it onto his right foot before forcing another good save from close range.

Chesterfield were punished moments later. Three minutes into added time, a strong challenge left Weir down writhing in agony, play continued and Alves was sent through on goal and he rounded Jalal before slotting the ball into the empty net to double Maidenhead’s advantage.

The Spireites started the second period brightly and a good, attacking move sent Fortune down the right-hand side. He slotted the ball to Carter, but crowded out his shot was blocked.

Maidenhead then missed a golden opportunity to make it three as Alves was sent clean through by Jordan Archer, but his shot went narrowly wide.

A minute later Weston had another chance on goal. An indirect free-kick was cleared as far as Weston, but he couldn’t keep his volley down and the ball went just over the bar.

In the 67th minute, Chesterfield were awarded a penalty. Denton was taken down in the area, prompting the referee to point to the spot. Fortune stepped up and calmly slotted into the bottom corner, past the outstretched finger tips of Pentney, halving the deficit.

Two minutes later Maidenhead restored their two-goal cushion when Jalal failed to gather a cross and the ball fell to Upward, who slotted the ball into an empty net.

After a good attacking move, substitute Joshua Kayode aimed a good cross into Carter, but on the stretch he could only guide his effort onto the bar.

Chesterfield continued to probe and had the better of the possession, but Maidenhead’s defence held firm and saw out the game.

Chesterfield: Jalal, Talbot, Binnom-Willimas, Maguire (Kayode 46), Nelson, Weir, Weston, Smith (Muggleton 64), Carter, Denton, Fortune,

Unused subs: Hollis, Shaw, Rowley

Attendance: 3,681 (38 away)

Advertisement block