Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Spireites draw at Dagenham

15 September 2018

Sponsored by

The Spireites couldn’t hold onto their goal advantage, as they were denied victory by a 79th minute equaliser at Dagenham on Saturday.

New signing Tom Denton, who was making his debut, caused the Dagenham and Redbridge defence problems from the start. Drew Talbot put in a dangerous cross from the right-hand side early on and found Denton in the box. The striker managed to rise above his marker and get his head to it, but his effort dropped just over the bar.

The home side then produced a half chance just a few moments later, as a free-kick from the left found Elliot Romain at the back post. However, the forward could only strike his shot wide of the Shwan Jalal’s goal.

It was the Spireites who took the lead in the 13th minute. Lee Shaw managed to get to the byline and play a low ball across into the box, and Weston was there to tap into the left corner of the Dagenham net.

Dagenham had a great opportunity with just over ten minutes remaining before the break. A dangerous cross from the right found Romain with space inside the box. The striker rose highest, but could only glance his header wide of the left-hand post.

The home side started the second half the stronger of the two teams, and peppered the Chesterfield box with crosses from both sides of the pitch. Although they were tested, the Spireites managed to stand strong against the bombardment of balls in from Dagenham.

Chesterfield managed to create a half chance as Shaw was put through on goal. The striker connected well with his shot from just outside the area, but the Dagenham defence just got back in time to block the effort.

It was Shaw who had the Spireites' best chance of the second half. Substitute Bradley Barry cushioned a cross from Kyel Reid down towards Shaw in the box, but he couldn’t convert from six yards out, hitting the ball into the ground and seeing it bounce over the bar.

With just over ten minutes of the game to go, Dagenham equalised. Chike Kandi was put through on goal and with only Jalal to beat, he chipped the Spireites keeper cleverly to score (79).

Both sides pushed hard for a late winner in the remaining ten minutes, but neither team could find the net.

The Spireites now look to their next game against Gateshead at the Proact next Saturday.

Chesterfield: Jalal, Binnom-Williams, Evans, Weston (Barry, 64), Shaw (Muggleton, 84), Hines (Maguire, 61), Weir, Hollis, Talbot ©, Reid, Denton

Subs (unused): Burton, Fortune

Attendance: 1,273 (230 Chesterfield fans)

Advertisement block