Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Spireites draw with Wrexham

27 October 2018

Sponsored by

The Spireites battled back to draw at home to Wrexham on Saturday, with Jonathan Smith scoring a 91st minute equaliser after Wrexham took the lead from a Brad Walker penalty in the 21st minute.

Martin Allen made two changes to the Chesterfield team that beat Fylde in the FA Cup last weekend, with Smith and Zavon Hines coming in for Alex Kiwomya and Lee Shaw, who both dropped to the bench.

The Spireites created a half-chance in the opening couple of minutes, as Sam Muggleton put in a dangerous low cross into the area. Muggleton’s cross found Tom Denton, but the in-form striker’s shot was straight at Rob Lainton in the Wrexham goal.

The home side manufactured another chance not long after, as Denton was able to bring the ball down with his chest inside the penalty box. The forward laid the ball off to strike partner Hines, but he could only curl his shot over the bar.

It was the visitors who were given a great chance to go in front when they were awarded a penalty for a handball against Will Evans. Walker stepped up and slotted the penalty past Callum Burton in the 21st minute.

The Spireites went close to levelling the scores only five minutes after going behind. Denton won a free-kick around 25 yards from the Wrexham goal, Captain Will Evans struck the free kick well but it whistled just wide of the right post.

Hines raced past his man down the left-hand side to create another chance as he cut the ball back from the by-line. Joe Rowley arrived in the box to meet it, but unfortunately for the Spireites, his strike rose over the crossbar.

Wrexham started the second half brightly, as a chance fell to Akil Wright. He struck his half volley from just outside the box, but it rose just over the bar.

Denton linked up well with substitute Lee Shaw, putting Shaw through on goal with a delicate flick. Shaw was able to get on the end of the through ball, but the Wrexham defence were able to get back and clear.

The Spireites were unlucky not to go level when Laurence Maguire headed a corner back into the fray and it fell at the feet of Jerome Binnom-Williams. He spun and struck an effort at goal, but his shot was blocked by teammate Shaw on the line.

Levi Amantchi made an immediate impact when coming off the bench, as he did well to cut inside the box from the right-hand side. He let fly with a well-hit effort, but Lainton produced a good save to keep it out.

After putting the pressure on Wrexham the Spireites finally made a breakthrough in the 91st minute. Laurence Maguire crossed in from the left, and Smith was there at the back post to head home and give Chesterfield a well-deserved point.


Chesterfield: Burton, Denton (Amantchi, 59), Maguire, Smith, Binnom-Williams, Hollis, Hines, Evans © (Shaw, 45), Muggleton (Kiwomya, 76), Weston, Rowley

Subs (unused): Fortune, Reid

Attendance: 5,662 (1,529 away)

Advertisement block