Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Spireites win FA Cup tie at Fylde

20 October 2018

Sponsored by

The Spireites made it through to the next round of the FA Cup with a 3-1 win away to AFC Fylde on Saturday. After going a goal down early in the first half from a Danny Rowe strike, a free kick from Will Evans levelled the scoring, before two Tom Denton goals won it for Chesterfield

Martin Allen made two changes to the side that drew away at Halifax in the National League last weekend. Jerome Binnom-Williams and Haydn Hollis came into the starting line-up, replacing Kyel Reid and Jonathan Smith.

The home side were first to threaten as Joe Cardle cut inside on the right and struck a well-hit strike inside the box. Luckily for the Spireites, Callum Burton produced a great save to tip it around the right-hand post.

The Spireites created a half chance soon after when Alex Kiwomya managed to make some room for himself inside the Fylde box. He turned and struck a right footed shot, but it was straight at Jay Lynch in the Fylde goal.

Fylde took the lead in the 13th minute after a corner was half cleared and ended up at the feet of Danny Rowe just inside the penalty area. He hit his effort low and it beat Burton to find the bottom left-hand corner.

Chesterfield were given a chance to equalise when Joe Rowley was brought down just outside the area, after good interplay with Denton. Evans stepped up to take the free kick, and smashed the ball into the right corner to level the game (26).

The away side had an opportunity to get themselves in the lead, when the referee awarded a penalty for a foul on Denton in the box. Denton took the penalty and slotted the ball home, giving the Spireites the lead (35).

Fylde put pressure on the Chesterfield defence for the remainder of the first 45 minutes, but they manage to hold strong against a number of crosses into their box.

The home team were first to create a chance in the second half, as Cardle put a dangerous cross in from the right. His ball in found the head of Danny Philliskirk, but he could only glance his header over Burton’s crossbar.

After soaking up a lot of Fylde pressure, it was the Spireites who extended their lead. Denton rose highest to get his head to a corner, and he put his header into the right corner of the Fylde net (70).

Fylde threatened to get one back when Ash Hemmings cut in from the right-hand side and let fly with a left-footed strike. The winger struck his effort with plenty of power, and he was unlucky to see it come back off the crossbar.

Fylde kept pushing to get a goal back, but the Spireites were able to keep the home side out to progress through to the next round of the FA Cup.

Chesterfield: Burton, Denton (Amantchi, 93), Evans ©, Rowley, Weston, Hollis, Binnom-Williams (Reid, 56), Shaw (Hines, 64), Kiwomya, Muggleton, Maguire

Subs (unused): Anyon, Nelson, Fortune, Wakefield

Attendance: 1,092

Advertisement block