Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Spireites draw at Halifax

13 October 2018

Sponsored by

Chesterfield battled from behind to earn a 1-1 draw at FC Halifax Town in a hard-fought contest. Tom Denton equalised in the 78th minute after Matty Kosylo scored for the hosts.

Martin Allen made two changes to his starting XI from the previous fixture with AFC Fylde, with Jerome Binnom Williams and Marc-Antoine Fortune making way for Kyel Reid and debutant Alex Kiwomya.

Chesterfield started positively and had a chance within seconds of the kick-off. A loose ball fell to Will Evans six yards out, but his shot was well blocked by a defender.

Reid made a good run down the left-hand side from central midfield. He sent in a superb cross from the left, but unfortunately it went just over the heads of Denton and Kiwomya.

Kiwomya had a chance to take the lead minutes later. Lee Shaw sped past a defender and sent a great cross to Kiwomya, but under pressure he couldn’t make sufficient contact and the ball glanced across the face of goal and behind.

Just shy of the half-hour mark, Halifax went close from a corner. It was headed away by Denton and the ball fell to Joe Skarz outside the box, who sent a thunderous effort on the half-volley that went narrowly wide of the post.

Not long later a free kick was sent in by Chesterfield which was headed away to Jonathan Smith, whose effort was blocked by a defender.

Ten minutes before the break, the Spireites had the best chance of the half. Sam Muggleton found himself in space on the left, he looped a good ball into Denton who rose highest and with the keeper rooted to the spot, the ball glanced agonisingly off the bar.

Zavon Hines came on at half-time and immediately made his presence known, picking up the ball on the left-hand side. He tried to find Shaw, but his pass was under-hit and was cleared away.

Halifax had a chance on the counter-attack. With one defender in front of him, Hanson tried to thread the ball to Edwards, but Burton was quick off his line before the flag was raised.

Minutes later, Hines was on the ball again and played it across to Weston in the centre, but he aimed his effort narrowly wide.

Reid was again causing trouble from the left. He looped the ball over to Hines who, with the keeper bearing down on him, could only hit the side netting.

In the 69th minute, Halifax took the lead after the ball was sent over the top to Kosylo, who rounded Burton before slotting the ball home.

The Spireites responded immediately and Shaw played the ball across to Hines on the left, who wriggled his way into the box and forced a corner.

In the 79th minute, the Spireites equalised. Hines sent Binnom-Williams through on the left side with a perfect back heel and Binnom-Williams lofted a great cross to Denton, who rose the highest to head the ball in from point-blank range.

With the minutes ticking down, the Spireites continued to apply pressure. Hines received the ball deep inside the area and forced goalkeeper Sam Johnson into a good save with his feet.

A minute later, Denton met another cross, but this time on the stretch the forward put his header wide of the post.

With two minutes of normal time remaining, the Spireites lost possession in the final third and a quick counter-attack sent Edwards through on the left-hand side. He shot from a narrow-angle and forced Burton into a good save with his legs.

Two minutes into stoppage time, Halifax nearly found a winner. Kyle Wootton met the ball from a corner and hit the bar. With the ball still in play, Burton pounced on it to snuff out the danger.

Chesterfield: Burton, Denton, Shaw (Fortune, 90+4), Rowley, Muggleton, Weston, Smith, Evans (C), Reid (Binnom-Williams, 66), Maguire, Kiwomya (Hines, 45)

Substitutes (unused): Hollis, Kayode

Attendance: 2,191 (405 Spireites supporters)

Advertisement block