Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Spireites draw at Eastleigh

24 November 2018

Sponsored by

A debut goal from Jordan Hallam earnt Chesterfield a hard fought 1-1 draw away at Eastleigh on Saturday.

Martin Allen made two changes to the side that won 3-1 against Billericay Town in the FA Cup on Tuesday night. Newly signed striker Hallam came into the lineup, and Bradley Barry who returned in the week from a loan spell at Dover also started.

The Spireites threatened early on when Lee Shaw was played in down the left-hand side. The forward managed to get to the byline, however, his low cross was cut out by the Eastleigh defence.

It was the home side that took the lead in the 12th minute after a Mark Yeates corner was flicked on at the front post. Running in at the back post was Alex Wynter who headed the flick on into the left-hand corner from close range.

Chesterfield created a chance of their own just a few minutes later as Jonathan Smith latched onto a loose ball just inside the area. Smith caught his effort sweetly, but his shot was deflected narrowly wide of the left post.

Callum Burton was called into action when Wynter flicked another header towards goal. Luckily for the Spireites, the keeper managed to pull off a great reaction save to his right to keep the header out.

A poor clearance from Eastleigh gave the away side an opportunity, as Shaw latched onto the loose ball inside the box. The Chesterfield striker went around Max Stryjek in the Eastleigh goal and shot, but the keeper managed to recover just in time to make a good save.

The Spireites managed to get themselves level in the 42nd minute after good work down the left by Jerome Binnom-Williams. The left-back skipped past his marker and played the ball across to Hallam, who placed it into the right corner for his debut goal.

The home team had the first opportunity in the second half when Paul McCallum was put through on goal. The Eastleigh top scorer went one on one with Burton, but the forward could only poke his shot wide of the right post.

Levi Amantchi made an instant impact after coming off the bench for Chesterfield. The young forward received the ball in space inside the box, but he scuffed his right footed shot wide of the left-hand post.

The home side then manufactured an effort at goal as Yeates managed to make space for himself outside the box. He struck his drive at goal well, but it flew just wide of the left-hand post.

Eastleigh went close again moments later when Yeates laid the ball off to McCallum inside the Spireites penalty area. Fortunately for Chesterfield, his shot was straight at Burton.

Smith went on an adventurous run down the right for Chesterfield and cut the ball back to Hallam inside the area. The debutant hit his shot first time, but his effort was blocked well by the Eastleigh defence.

Danny Hollands went close with a header that dipped just over the crossbar from a free kick, and just a few moments later Ben Williamson saw his header saved by Burton from a Hare cross.

Substitute Sam Muggleton went closest for the Spireites in the second half, hitting the crossbar with a curling effort that looked destined for the top left corner.

In the last minute of the 90 Eastleigh had a great chance to clinch a winner. Yeates shot from inside the box but saw his effort saved by Burton, and the follow-up strike from McCallum came back off the post.



Chesterfield: Burton, Hallam (Muggleton, 76), Maguire, Shaw (Amantchi 59), Hollis, Barry, Rowley ©, Binnom-Williams, Smith, Weston, Denton, Hallam, Maguire, Shaw,

Subs (unused): Anyon, Kiwomya, Reid

Attendance: 1,774 (274 Chesterfield Supporters)

Advertisement block