Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Spireites progress in FA Cup

20 November 2018

Sponsored by

Tom Denton scored a hat-trick as the Spireites progressed through to the second round of the FA Cup with a 3-1 win away at Billericay in their first round replay on Tuesday night.

Martin Allen initially made two changes to the side that drew to Havant & Waterlooville at the Proact on Saturday. Denton and Sam Muggleton came in for Marc-Antoine Fortune and Kyel Reid, who dropped to the bench. A late change just before kick-off also saw Will Evans drop out for Zavon Hines.

The Spireites were first to threaten early on when Jerome Binnom-Williams came onto a loose ball and shot from just inside the box. He struck his shot well, but a crucial block by Billericay stopped the left-back from opening the scoring.

Lee Shaw was next to have a strike at the Billericay goal, as he was put on goal by a chipped through ball. The forward turned past his man cleverly and shot at goal from the left of the penalty area, but Alan Julian pulled off a good save down to his left.

The home side created an opportunity just a few minutes later, as Dean Inman met a corner and headed towards goal. Fortunately for Chesterfield, the defender’s effort was straight at Callum Burton.

With just over ten minutes of the first half remaining, Joe Rowley delivered a corner towards Denton. The tall forward rose highest to get his head to it but was denied by a clearance off the line.

Billericay went close to an opener soon after, as Callum Kennedy whipped in a dangerous cross from a free kick towards the back post. Ricky Modeste was there to meet it, but Burton was able to stop the winger’s low shot.

Chesterfield took the lead with just five minutes of the first half to play, as Shaw did well to beat his man and get to the right byline. The forward managed to produce a low cross into the area and Denton (40) was there to meet it and slot th ball home.

The Spireites had a great opportunity to extend their lead after the break, when Laurence Maguire picked out Shaw with a lofted pass. The forward raced onto the defender’s ball and was through on goal, but Shaw lost control of the ball and the Billericay keeper gathered.

Burton had to be alert again when Jake Robinson met a cross from Danny Waldren, and had to pull off a smart save to his right to deny the striker.

The home side made the most of their pressure, as Joe Kizzi (63) reacted first after a cross came into the box and put it in from close range.

Chesterfield responded to Billericay’s leveller almost immediately when Denton (65) reacted first from a rebound to head into the left corner and restore the Chesterfield’s lead.

Burton was called into action twice in quick succession, making two crucial saves from shots by Moses Emmanuel.

Substitute Levi Amantchi caused the Billericay defence problems, beating his marker down the right-hand side and playing the ball across to Denton (87), who casually put his effort into the left-hand corner to seal his hat-trick. 

Chesterfield: Burton, Denton, Hines (Kiwomya, 68), Weston, Smith, Rowley (Reid, 90), Hollis, Binnom-Williams, Shaw (Amantchi, 80), Muggleton, Maguire

Subs (unused): Anyon, Nelson, Holmes, Fortune

Attendance: 2,493

Advertisement block