Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Defeat for Spireites

10 March 2018

Sponsored by

Chesterfield slipped to a 3-1 defeat at home to Lincoln City after taking the lead.

The match had to be stopped in the 26th minute for an air ambulance to land on the pitch as medics tended to a stricken fan who required emergency treatement after being taken ill in the East Stand.

Just minutes after play resumed, the Spireites took the lead through Alex Whitmore's header but the outcome of the match was ultimately decided by corner-kicks, with Michael Bostwick and then Scott Wharton meeting Samuel Habergham’s deliveries before Ollie Palmer sealed victory for the visitors.

Chesterfield showed character and desire throughout, starting the match with intensity and physicality.

It took until the 19th minute for the game’s first chance, a looped ball into the middle from Elliott Whitehouse found Matt Green in space in the middle but his header was smartly stopped by Aaron Ramsdale who got down low to make the save,

Chesterfield grew into the game, started pushing forward and five minutes later Chris O’Grady went close to connecting with Jak McCourt‘s low cross in behind the defence.

The Spireites emerged from the stoppage with the bit between their teeth, pressing forward and getting the reward. Josh Kay, who gave an energetic performance, whipped a wonderful ball into the back post which Whitmore met beautifully, glancing his looping header over keeper Ryan Allsop and into the top corner on the half-hour mark.

Chesterfield continued on top for the remainder of the half, but couldn’t hold the lead going into half-time, being hit with a sucker punch when Bostwick towered a header from a corner to equalise in first-half stoppage time.

The dangerous Jacob Brown nearly got Chesterfield off to a flier from the re-start, firing a shot hard and low from the edge of the box which looked destined to nestle in the net, had it not been for a smart save from Allsop.

The Spireites were on top for the majority of the ensuing period, before once again falling victim to poor defending from a corner kick – allowing Wharton (59) to nod in at the back post to put the Imps in front.

As Chesterfield pushed forward in search of a vital equaliser, it created more space for Lincoln to run into and the pace and fresh legs of substitute Palmer did the damage with just five minutes of normal time left to play when his mazy run had the finish to match and secure the win for the away side.

Chesterfield: Ramsdale, Barry, Smith (Rowley 81), Nelson, Whitmore, Talbot, McCourt, Kay (Hines 64), Brown, Kellett, O’Grady (Dennis 64).

Unused substitutes: Parkin, Willock, Maguire, Brownell.

Lincoln: Allsop, Eardley, Bostwick, Wharton, Habergham, Woodyard, Whitehouse, Frecklington, Green, Williams (Pett 89), Rhead (Anderson 64).

Unused substitutes: Farman, Long, Chapman, O’Hare.

Attendance: 6,395 (1,899)

Referee: David Webb

Advertisement block