Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Spireites Slip to Narrow Defeat

27 January 2018

Sponsored by

Chesterfield failed to make it three wins in a row after losing 1-0 at home to Stevenage, with Ben Kennedy scoring the only goal of the game early in the second half.

The first chance of the game fell to the home side after some good build up play from Joe Rowley and Louis Reed which eventually saw Rowley’s cross fly past the post with Kristian Dennis unable to get on the end of it.

Dennis was making first start since returning from injury as he looked to add to his impressive 15-goal tally in all competitions so far this season.

Stevenage were then awarded a controversial free-kick which almost saw them take the lead. Mark McKee’s cross found the head of Danny Newton, but he saw the ball come back off the post and Chesterfield managed to clear to safety.

January signing Zavon Hines nearly put the Spireites ahead after good work from Reed to win the ball back, but his curling shot struck Dennis who was in an off-side position.

The first half came to an end with neither side managing to find the net in a tight encounter.

With only three minutes having been played in the second half, Stevenage scored what proved to be the winner in fortuitous fashion. Aaron Ramsdale’s attempted clearance hit Kennedy and rolled into the empty net, with the keeper slipping as he kicked the ball. Moments later, Kennedy limped off to be replaced by Tom Pett.

Reed almost levelled things up with a well-struck free-kick that was punched away by Tom King. Jak McCourt then fired just wide after good build-up play from Josh Kay.

McCourt was again involved as his low cross after a swift counter-attack was collected by Rowley, whose shot was deflected wide for a corner that came to nothing.

It was end-to-end action as Stevenage nearly doubled their advantage when Danny Newton saw his fierce shot tipped over by Ramsdale.

Chris O’Grady was then introduced to the game on 73 minutes and almost provided and instant impact. His header flew just wide of the post from Andy Kellett’s cross, the latter having also just been brought on to replace Hines.

Stevenage looked dangerous on the counter-attack and substitute Pett almost put the game to bed but his shot curled just wide.

The Spireites were throwing everything at Stevenage as the fourth official held up the board showing there would be six additional minutes.

Chesterfield failed to force an equaliser in the remaining minutes as Darren Sarll’s men held on to claim all three points.

The result means the Spireites remain unmoved in 22nd place.

Chesterfield: Ramsdale, Whitmore, Nelson, Maguire (Binnom-Williams 84), Weir, Reed, McCourt, Kay (O’Grady 73’), Hines (Kellett 62’), Dennis, Rowley

Unused substitutes: Parkin, De Girolamo, Wiseman, Dimaio.

Stevenage: King, Smith, King, Franks, Kennedy (Pett 51), Newton (Wilkinson 82), Van Cooten, Godden (Conlon 59), Henry, Mckee, Wilmott

Unused substitutes: Fryer, Slater, Georgiou.

Attendance: 4,981.

Advertisement block