Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Parkin's Heroics Secure Shootout Win

9 January 2018

Sponsored by

Goalkeeper Dylan Parkin was the Chesterfield hero, after he saved three Belper Town penalties, to ensure his team's progression into the semi finals of the Derbyshire Senior Challenge Cup.

Connor Dimaio, Jack Brownell and Ify Ofoegbu were all successful from the spot for the Spireites, while Parkin saved three of the four penalties that he faced, in a shootout which the Spireites won 3-1, following a 0-0 draw in normal time at the Proact.

The first chance of the game fell to Chesterfield, when captain for the night, Scott Wiseman advanced down the right flank, his cross was deflected into the path of Reece Mitchell, who took a touch before firing over the crossbar.

Mitchell then exchanged passes with Brandon Howard on the left flank in the 11th minute, before the young full back cut inside and saw his right footed strike tipped over by Belper goalkeeper Daniel Roberts.

Jamie Sharman's ball over the top of the defence was then latched onto by De Girolamo, he advanced into the area and then saw his left footed shot tipped around the post by Roberts. A minute later Ricky German was played through on goal, but he shot wide when one on one with the 'keeper.

Roberts then produced a brilliant save to deny Ify Ofoegbu from point blank range, when the winger slid in at the far post to get on the end of De Girolamo's cross.

Chances were few and far between for a while afterwards, until a good passing move involving Wiseman, German and Dimaio, saw the latter play a fine pass over the defence to Charlie Wakefield. The young midfielder's left-footed cross was then put behind for a corner, from which Jamie Sharman headed wide.

Roberts continued his fine performance, when he denied Dimaio, tipping over his dipping volley from 25-yards out.

Chesterfield made a change prior to the start of the second half, with Brownell replacing Wakefield. But it was the visitors who had the first chance of the second period.

A long ball forward from a Belper defender, was headed away by an off balance Sharman, Sam Birks then tried to lob the stranded Parkin, but his effort bounced wide of the target.

The Spireites' first effort of the half came from Mitchell, who shot at Roberts from outside the penalty area. Meanwhile, Leandro Browne curled a free kick wide of Parkin's goal for the visitors.

Miguel Llera shuffled his pack in a bid to win the tie inside 90 minutes, with Luke Rawson replacing Mitchell, while Levi Amantchi replaced the injured German. And it was Amantchi who teed up De Girolamo in the 74th minute, but not for the first time on the night the striker was denied by Roberts, who got down low to his right to save.

Ten minutes form time, Dimaio received a pass from De Girolamo, the Ireland U21 international then sent an effort just wide of the top right hand corner. At the other end, Parkin was at full stretch to deny Dominic Allen, who turned and shot from the edge of the area after a quick free-kick.

With the teams unable to be separated in normal time, the match went to a penalty shootout. Where despite misses from Wiseman and De Girolamo the Spireites progressed 3-1, thanks to Parkin's heroics and successful penalties from Dimaio, Brownell and Ofoegbu.

Chesterfield will now face either Mickleover or Buxton away in the semi-finals, to be played in February.

Chesterfield: Parkin, Wiseman (C), Howard, Hand, Sharman, Ofoegbu, Wakefield (Brownell 46), Dimaio, German (Amantchi 72), De Girolamo, Mitchell (Rawson 66).

Substitutes not used: Marris (gk), Render.

Belper: Roberts, Thornberry, Goddard, Allen, Guy (C), Harrison, Browne, Lloyd, Birks (Davidson-Miller 85), Garnett, Cole (O'Connell 76).

Substitutes not used: Baldwick, Butcher, Williamson.

Advertisement block