Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Vital Victory for Spireites

24 February 2018

Sponsored by

Chesterfield ended a run of four straight defeats with a vital 2-1 victory over Swindon Town.

Chris O'Grady opened the scoring in only the second minute and Andy Kellett added a second goal early in the second half. Swindon pulled a goal back but the Spireites held on to claim all three points.

Chesterfield made the perfect start when Kellett’s cross was pushed clear by keeper Reice Charles-Cook straight to O’Grady and the ball rebounded off the striker and into the net with less than two minutes on the clock.

Ex-West Ham man Matt Taylor's curling free-kick forced Aaron Ramsdale into a smart stop, the Bournemouth loanee tipping it round the post for a corner.  

Within the space of eight minutes, both sides were forced to substitute their captains due to injury.  First it was Swindon just before the half-hour mark as Ollie Lancashire limped off to be replaced by Chris Robertson. Then Robbie Weir was helped off the field and replaced by Jak McCourt.

Swindon then had a golden chance to equalise just before half-time, but former Spireite Marc Richards blazed well over from ten yards out following a corner.

Chesterfield almost doubled their lead in the dying seconds of a lengthy stoppage-time as Drew Talbot climbed highest from the corner, but his header bounced just wide of the far post.  The whistle sounded immediately after with the Spireites ahead at the break.  

The second half began and once again Chesterfield were quick out of the blocks.  A swift counter-attack saw McCourt release Kellett, who cut inside his man and curled a delightful shot past Charles-Cook to put the Spireites 2-0 up in the 51st minute.

The away side used their two remaining substitutes on the hour-mark, as Luke Norris and Kaiyne Woolery were brought on to replace Keshi Anderson and Kellan Gordon. Woolery was straight into the action as his curling shot deflected onto the bar as Swindon looked to try and get back into the game.  

The pressure was starting to build on Chesterfield as Richards yet again failed to find the target with a free header from only six yards out.  

Former Chesterfield midfielder Ollie Banks was then given a straight red card by referee John Brooks for a dangerous challenge on Louis Reed which left the Spireites with a man advantage for the remaining 20 minutes.

This dismissal didn’t halt the away side’s momentum, however, as centre-half Rollin Menayese (75) headed in Matt Taylor’s centre to set up a tense final 15 minutes.  

Jerome Binnom-Williams was then brought on to replace Drew Talbot as the game entered the final ten minutes. Another change saw Kellett replaced by Joe Rowley.

The Spireites saw through the six minutes of stoppage time with very little to trouble Ramsdale as they held on to claim a crucial victory in the fight for survival.  

Chesterfield: Ramsdale, Barry, Talbot, Nelson, Whitmore, Dodds, Reed, Weir (c) (McCourt 34),  Kellett, Hines, O'Grady.

Unused substitutes: Jones, Brown, Maguire, Dennis.

Swindon: Charles-Cook, Purkiss, Lancashire (Robertson 28), Menayese, Knoyle, Banks, Anderson (Norris 59), Taylor, Gordon (Woolery 59), Mullin, Richards.

Unused substitutes: Moore, Dunne, Landolo.

Attendance: 4,668 (451 Swindon)

Advertisement block