Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Spireites Lose Following Crawley Comeback

3 February 2018

Sponsored by

Chesterfield slipped to a 2-1 defeat at home to Crawley Town after the visitors came from behind to snatch victory with a stoppage-time winner.

Louis Reed’s first-half goal gave Chesterfield the lead before Crawley mounted a second-half comeback.

Three new signings were involved as Louis Dodds - signed from Shrewsbury - and Barnsley loanee Dylan Mottley-Henry both made their full debuts. Jacob Brown, also on loan from Barnsley, was among the substitutes.

Both teams started brightly with Thomas Verheydt sneaking behind the back-line before his shot was diverted for a corner following an excellent tackle by Sid Nelson.  

Josh Kay also had his right-footed shot blocked inside the penalty area after some good work down the right by Robbie Weir. 

The Spireites had the first big chance of the game when a free-kick found its way to Nelson at the back post and he smashed his shot goal-wards but Crawley got the ball away for a corner.

From the resulting corner, Reed (18) forced the breakthrough. The ball was cleared to the edge of the area where Reed unleashed a well-hit shot which took a deflection and found the bottom corner past a helpless Glenn Morris. 

Kristian Dennis nearly doubled Chesterfield’s lead with a long-range shot that went agonisingly wide of the post. 

Karlan Grant nearly levelled for the visitors late on in the first half, taking a great first touch past Weir before being quickly closed down by Aaron Ramsdale who made a smart save to concede a corner. 

The away side had the first chance of the second half. Grant was impressive again down the left and his effort found captain Jimmy Smith whose shot flashed wide.

Kay then continued to impress and his fantastic 20-yard strike was heading to the top corner but for Morris’ acrobatic save. 

Ramsdale was called into action again as Young was found in the area and the midfielder had space but couldn’t finish past the impressive Ramsdale. 

Grant was causing problems for the Spireites and he levelled in the 57th minute. Darting in from the left wing and carrying the ball into the box, he skipped past the defence and comfortably finished past Ramsdale. 

Jack Lester introduced Joe Rowley and Zavon Hines with 20 minutes to go, hoping to find a winning goal and it was Dennis who went close with a left-foot volley which was saved well by Morris. 

In stoppage time, Crawley stunned the Spireites as a defensive error handed Smith the ball and his smart back-heel found Lewis Young who smashed his effort into the roof of the net. 

The defeat means Chesterfield drop into the relegation zone in 23rd place. 

Chesterfield:  Ramsdale, Whitmore, Nelson, Maguire, Weir(c), Reed, McCourt, Kay (Hines 70’), Mottley-Henry (Rowley 70’), Dennis, Dodds (O’Grady 78’)

Unused substitutes: Brown, Parkin, Binnom-Williams, Barry 

Crawley: Morris, Verheydt, Doherty, Grant (Evina 86’), Yorwerth, Boldewijn (Tajbakhsh 89’), Randall, Bulman, Young, Smith(c), Connelly (Lelan 78’)

Attendance:  5,159 (114 away)

Advertisement block