Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Hartlepool defeat for Spireites

27 August 2018

Sponsored by

It was a frustrating day for the Spireites, as they found themselves on the wrong end of a 1-0 scoreline at Hartlepool on Monday. Nicky Featherstone’s well-taken goal in the 17th minute was enough to give Hartlepool the win.

Haydn Hollis, who was signed on loan from Forest Green Rovers last Thursday, made his debut in defence and there were recalls for Joe Rowley and Gozie Ugwu. Laurence Maguire, Kyel Reid and Marc-Antoine Fortune dropped down to the bench.

The Spireites went close early on, as one of Sam Muggleton’s long throw-ins found Ugwu in the box. The striker flicked his header towards goal, but it was headed off the line.

It was the home side who took the lead in the 17th minute. Some good build-up play from Hartlepool down the left-hand side found Featherstone in space on the edge of the area and he slotted his effort past Callum Burton, into the right corner of the net.

Hartlepool then had a number of chances to extend their lead. Michael Woods saw his low strike from just outside the box go narrowly wide of the left-hand post.

Just a minute later they went close again as Ryan Donaldson's dangerous cross from the right found Mark Kitching at the back post, but he could only head wide of Burton’s goal.

Muggleton’s long throw-ins continued to cause Hartlepool problems, and late on in the first half, one of them created the Spireites' best chance of the opening 45 minutes. The long throw was flicked on and found Zavon Hines in the box, but his half-volley was straight at keeper Scott Loach.

The Spireites began the second half like they ended the first, as they pushed for an equaliser. A long throw from Muggleton was only partially cleared and the loose ball fell to Robbie Weir on the edge of the box. He hit his strike well, but it was blocked by the closing Hartlepool defence.

Chesterfield came under pressure, as a cross in from a free kick found Niko Muir at the back post. He chipped a threatening cross in from the right side of the box, but luckily for the Spireites, Curtis Weston was there to head clear off the line.

With 15 minutes to go, Reid let fly with an effort from outside the area, which forced a good save from Loach.

The Spireites had a chance to equalise in stoppage time when Ugwu flicked a header towards the danger area and the ball fell to Hollis, but he could only flick his volley over the bar from close range.

Spireites: Burton, Hines, Hollis, Weir © (Fortune 60), Nelson, Rowley, Talbot, Evans (Reid, 33), Weston, Ugwu, Muggleton (Shaw 74)

Subs (not used): Barry & Maguire
Attendance: 3,773

Advertisement block