Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Spireites beaten by Barnet

25 August 2018

Sponsored by

It was a frustrating day at the office for Chesterfield, as a last-minute goal from Barnet’s Jack Taylor was the difference between the two teams.

The Spireites started the brighter of the two teams, with their pressing causing Barnet problems in the first 15 minutes of the game. Threatening crosses from Kyel Reid and Bradley Barry early on came close to finding a Chesterfield player in the box, but unfortunately, no one was able to convert.

In the 19th minute, a collective applause went around the Proact, in tribute to Barnet fan Chris East, who passed away at the young age of 19. Today would have been his 22nd birthday.

Some clever interplay from Zavon Hines and Reid opened up the Barnet defence. Reid played a low cross into the feet of Hines, but his effort from close range was blocked well by a Barnet defender.

The Spireites came close again, as captain Robbie Weir found himself with space on the edge of the area, but his well-hit half-volley was tipped over the bar. From the corner that followed, it was Reid’s turn to go close, as his strike from the left-hand side of the area went just over the bar.

Barnet got a rare chance near the end of the half, as a good ball in from the left found Cheye Alexander with space in the box. However, his shot was blocked well by the Spireites defence.

Chesterfield almost went into half-time with a lead, as they had the best chance of the half just before the break. A good cross in from a free-kick from Laurence Maguire found the head of defender Michael Nelson, but his effort went just wide of the right post.

Debutant goalkeeper Callum Burton had to be alert, and pull off a good save from Braham’s close-range strike, early in the second half.

The Spireites were restricted to half chances as the second half turned into a midfield battle, with both sides finding chances hard to come by.

Burton had to be called upon again, with the keeper having to make a save from point-blank range, after an effort from Daniel Sweeney.

With five minutes to go, Drew Talbot picked out Gozie Ugwu with a good cross from the right., however the striker couldn’t get enough purchase on his volley and it rolled into the Barnet keeper's arms.

Barnet broke the deadlock late on, as substitute Taylor struck his effort well from outside the area, with the ball going into the top left corner of the net.

Spireites: Burton, Hines, Maguire (Rowley, 74), Weir © (Muggleton, 80), Nelson, Reid, Talbot, Evans, Weston, Fortune, Barry (Ugwu, 63)

Subs (not used): Jalal (GK), Hollis

Attendance: 4,685

Advertisement block