Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Defeat for Spireites at Salford

18 August 2018

Sponsored by

Chesterfield suffered their second loss of the season at Salford on Saturday, losing 3-2. After coming from behind to get level with their opponents twice in the game, a long-range effort from Danny Whitehead late on was the difference between the two sides.

Laurence Maguire returned in defence and Kyel Reid, who was signed on the eve of the game, made his debut for the Spireites. They replaced Jerome Binnom-Williams - who was suspended after being sent-off in midweek - and the injured Sam Wedgbury.

The Spireites were the first to engineer an effort on goal. Good hold up play by Marc-Antoine Fortune presented Charlie Carter with an opportunity inside the box, but his effort was well saved to his left by Salford keeper Chris Neal.

Salford took the lead in the 19th minute after captain Adam Rooney was put through on goal with only Shwan Jalal to beat. He slotted the ball home into the left corner, from just inside the area.

The home side went close to extending their lead soon after the goal. Rory Gaffney found himself with space inside the box to have a shot on goal, but his low effort came off the right-hand post.

Chesterfield started pushing for an equaliser, as Reid had an effort from around 25 yards out. His first time strike just dipped just over the bar - it was so close that some of the travelling support thought it had found the back of the net.

They continued to threaten the Salford goal, as a ball in from the left from Laurence Maguire found Zavon Hines, whose volley from only a few yards out forced a good save from Neal, who had to get down quickly to stop the strike.

With only a couple of minutes until half-time, a poor Salford back pass nearly rolled over the line for an own goal. The keeper got back quickly to claw it off the line, but luckily for the Spireites, Hines was there to tap in from close range (43).

It was Salford who went back in front after half time, when a corner from the right hand side found the head of Carl Piergianni (56), who rose highest to head in.

However, their lead didn’t last long as only a few minutes later Hines danced his way past his marker on the right side of the box, played the ball across the area and Fortune (59) was there to tap in from close range.

The Spireites pilled on the pressure by using the long throw of substitute Sam Muggleton. One of his throws found the back of the net, but it was disallowed as the ball didn’t get a touch.

Salford managed to weather the storm and launched attacks of their own. Ibou Touray put in a tempting left footed cross into the area towards striker Devante Rodney, but he couldn’t stretch enough to make contact at the back post.

The match-winning moment came in the 89th minute when the ball fell to Salford’s Danny Whitehead around 25 yards from goal. He stuck the ball well and his effort beat Jalal, going into the left-hand corner.

It was a disappointing finish to the game for the Spireites, after twice getting themselves level in the game.

Chesterfield: Jalal, Hines, Evans, Reid, Weston, Maguire, Nelson (Shaw, 90), Fortune, Talbot, Weir (C) (Barry, 84), Carter (Muggleton, 49)

Subs (not used): Anyon (GK), Amantchi

Attendance: 3,595

Advertisement block