Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Smith Goal Seals Silverware for Spireites

24 April 2018

Sponsored by

Chesterfield won their first Derbyshire Senior Challenge Cup final since 1937, thanks to a 1-0 win over Alfreton Town at the Impact Arena this evening.

The Spireites took an early lead, when after a free kick was awarded on the right of the Alfreton half, George Smith's left footed effort evaded everyone and beat Tobias Johannson in the Alfreton net.

The host's first chance came in the 11th minute, when Sam Topliss' cross from the right, found Chris Sharp unmarked in the middle of the area, but he could only volley straight at Joe Anyon in the Chesterfield goal.

Substitute Ryan Jennings then missed a glorious chance for Alfreton, when a long ball forward from Johannson bounced over Ofoegbu, Jennings got on to it inside the area and found himself one on one with Anyon, but he fired wide of the post.

Joe Rowley then got involved for the Spireites, firstly driving forward from deep in the 31st minute, he then slipped in Gozie Ugwu, who cut inside and tried to pull it back for Jerome Binnom-Williams, but a defender nipped into clear. Two mintues later he hit the side netting following a right-footed strike inside the box.

Rowley then forced a fine save from Johannson in stoppage time at the end of the first half, with the on-loan Aston Villa man palming the ball wide.

In the second half, Alfreton's Tom Platt saw his deflected free kick well saved by Anyon, while at the other end Rowley latched on to a flick inside the area, shot across goal but Thomas Allan slid in at the back post to clear, before Johannson gathered the loose ball.

Spirietes substitute Ricky German came close to scoring against his old club, when he tried to curl an effort around Johannson but his effort was beaten out, Rowley got onto the loose ball, but could only fire over the cross bar. Andre Johnson then saw his effort deflect wide for a corner.

The hosts piled on the pressure in the closing stages, and Hand did superbly to deny Allan, who rose highest at the back post and headed towards goal, the young Irishman acrobatically cleared the ball away on the line.

Levi Amantchi then came close to doubling the Spireites' lead, when he headed against the Reds' cross bar after a fine cross from Rowley.

James Baxendale then capitalised on a loose ball with three minutes remaining, he advanced before firing over Anyon's cross bar.

It proved to be the final chance of note, as the Spireites held on to secure the silverware.

Alfreton: Johannson, Topliss, Allan, Everington, Wagner, Beevers, Baxendale, Platt, Sharp (Johnson 46'), Daniels (Jennings 16'), Marshall (Keane 85').

Substitutes not used: Elliott (gk), Disley.

Chesterfield: Anyon, Ofoegebu, Smith, Willock, Hand, Sinnott, Kay (Amantchi 68'), Binnom-Williams (Sennett-Neilson 68'), Ugwu (German 55'), Rowley, Brownell 

Substitutes not used: Parkin (gk), Render.

Attendance: 254

Advertisement block