Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Spireites Fight Back to Earn Point

10 April 2018

Sponsored by

Second-half goals from Kristian Dennis and Andy Kellett ensured that Chesterfield left Morecambe with a point from a 2-2 draw, after being 2-0 down at half-time.

Dennis turned on a George Smith cross to score his 19th of the season ten minutes into the second half and the Spireites levelled with just over quarter of an hour remaining when Andy Kellett hooked in after an Aaron Ramsdale halfway line free kick bobbled about in the box for an age.

The Shrimps, themselves just above the bottom four at kick-off time, had taken the lead despite Chesterfield starting as the brighter side. Morecambe were awarded a free kick just outside the box, even though Alex Whitmore's tackle looked good. Alex Kenyon hit the free kick short to Michael Rose who broke down the left and crossed for Garry Thompson to bundle in at the far post with 16 minutes played.

Callum Lang (33) doubled the lead. Thompson took advantage of a defensive slip to feed Lang who slid the ball beyond Ramsdale in a one-on-one.

Both sides had chances to win in as the game opened up in the final phase, a Louis Dodds header which flew wide the Spireites' best chance to win it.

Jack Lester made two changes from the defeat at Grimsby, Laurence Maguire and Jak McCourt came in for Sid Nelson and Zavon Hines.

Morecambe were without ex-Spireite Barry Roche, who has an injured calf, but Adam McGurk, who'd scored six goals in six games against Chesterfield, was  in attack whilst experienced pair Thompson and Kevin Ellison were in midfield.

Right from the off, Chesterfield bossed possession but they were unable to find an on-target effort until Dodds forced a save on 52. With Kellett pulling plenty of strings, the visitors were in Morecambe territory time and again but didn't convert that momentum into gilt-edged chances as much as their play deserved.

The flow of the game changed at the break when Chris O'Grady and Smith came on for Robbie Weir and Bradley Barry and the Spireites were forced into another change soon after the restart when McCourt picked up a shoulder injury and Dodds came on.

With Chesterfield playing as a 4-2-4 after the changes, chances at both ends were inevitable and the Shrimps went close through Lang, McGurk, Dean Winnard and sub Gregg Wylde whilst Louis Reed hit high as the all-blue Spireites looked to nick it.

Plenty of first-half possession and plenty of second-half spirit will give the team some positivity ahead of the local derby at the weekend.

Morecambe: Nizic, McGowan, Kenyon, Old, Winnard, Thompson, Ellison, Conlon, Rose, McGurk, Lang.

Subs: Maher, Fleming, Oliver, Campbell, Wildig, Lavelle, Wylde.

Chesterfield: Ramsdale, Barry, Whitmore, Maguire, Talbot, Weir, McCourt, Brown, Reed, Kellett, Dennis.

Subs: Anyon, O'Grady, Rowley, Smith, Dodds, Nelson, Hines.

Ref: Martin Coy (Essex)

Bookings: Brown (Chesterfield), Kenyon, Thompson (Morecambe)

Attendance: 1,042 (206 from Chesterfield)

Advertisement block