Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Late Penalty Condemns Spireites to Defeat

7 April 2018

Sponsored by

The Spireites fell to a bitterly disappointing 1-0 defeat at Grimsby Town on Saturday afternoon after Mitch Rose converted a late penalty for the home side.

It was a rather uneventful first half with the Spireites’ best opportunity coming just before the break as Kristian Dennis saw his volley superbly kept out by James McKeown.

The Spireites looked to have secured a point due to a number of good saves from Aaron Ramsdale in the second half. However, the hosts were awarded a penalty just minutes before the end which was converted by Rose.

Manager Jack Lester opted to name an unchanged starting line-up for this match following the 2-1 defeat away against Port Vale on Good Friday.

It was the Spireites who made the brighter start to proceedings as they created a few chances in the opening ten minutes. Jacob Brown found himself in space down the right wing but Andy Kellett could not quite get his cross under control.

Dennis also had an early opportunity as Zavon Hines’ corner fell perfectly for him in the area but he saw his shot from a tight angle closed down for another corner which eventually came to nothing.

Brown was causing the Mariners problems again in the 19th minute as he fed Kellett down the right. Kellett was given the freedom to cut inside before unleashing a shot which went just wide of the top left-hand corner.

The hosts started to come into the game around midway through the first half with the likes of Dembele and Hooper causing the Spireites problems, especially from set pieces.

However, it was the Spireites who ended the half on the front foot. Kellett had two good opportunities to put his side ahead but both of his tame efforts were kept out easily by McKeown.

Chesterfield's best opportunity to make the breakthrough came in the 40th minute. After a quick breakaway, the ball fell for top scorer Dennis on the edge of the area but his volley was superbly kept out by McKeown.

There was still time for the hosts to carve out one more opportunity before the break. JJ Hooper was allowed to turn in the area before unleashing a shot that was kept out by Ramsdale.

It did not take long for the hosts to create another good opportunity just minutes after the restart. A long throw-in was met by Nathan Clarke but he saw his header cleared off the line by Drew Talbot.

The Spireites again rode their luck as Ramsdale made a number of good saves in quick succession with around an hour played. A cross into the area by Dembele caused a huge goalmouth scramble but Ramsdale was alert to keep his side level.

Dennis appeared to be through on goal in the 70th minute following a superb tackle by captain Robbie Weir. However, the striker had just strayed into an off-side position, much to the frustration of the travelling supporters behind the goal.

The away side really struggled to create many clear chances in the second half which led to the introduction of Chris O’Grady in the 80th minute to try and give Dennis some support.

The Spireites were dealt a bitter blow just minutes before the full-time whistle as the hosts were awarded a penalty. Sid Nelson was deemed guilty of handball in the area and Rose stepped up and sent Ramsdale the wrong way to give his side a vital lead.

Despite six minutes being added on at the end of the game, the Spireites were unable to find a way back into the match.

Grimsby Town: McKeown, Hall-Johnson, Clarke, Collins, Fox, Dembele (McSheffrey 75), Rose, Summerfield, Woolford, Vernon (Cardwell 71), Hooper (Jaiyesimi 68)

Unused subs: McAllister, Mills, Matt, Killip.

Chesterfield: Ramsdale, Barry, Nelson, Whitmore, Talbot, Reed, Weir (O’Grady 81), Brown, Kellett, Hines (McCourt 61), Dennis.

Unused subs: Anyon, Rowley, Smith, Dodds, Maguire.

Attendance: 6,780 (1,470 away)

Advertisement block