Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Spireites Draw at Home

28 October 2017

Sponsored by

The Spireites drew 2-2 at home to Carlisle United after taking a first-half lead.

Tommy Lee returned in goal in place of Joe Anyon with Jak McCourt and Matthew Briggs also recalled in place of Jordan Flores and Louis Reed, who missed out through injury and suspension respectively.

Substitute Richie Bennett’s 30-yard-strike looked to have given the away side all three points after they came from behind to take the lead, but Kristian Dennis levelled the scores six minutes from time.

McCourt’s free-kick gave Chesterfield a deserved lead at the interval, but Carlisle captain Danny Grainger’s header put the teams level early in the second-half before Bennett put the visitors ahead.

Briggs was the first to threaten with a low shot which was saved by Jack Bonham.

A quick Carlisle counter-attack allowed forward Hallam Hope space on the edge of the area, but his shot went harmlessly wide.

The opening goal came in the 40th minute when Joe Rowley made a driving run before being brought down by Gary Liddle, 25 yards out. The resulting free-kick was touched to McCourt’s whose low driven effort beat Bonham, going just inside the keeper's right-hand post.

Chesterfield nearly doubled their lead on the stroke of half time when Briggs found Dennis who couldn’t make clean contact and the ball fell at the feet of Rowley at the back-post before Bonham scrambled it away.

The away side started the second period with purpose and when Nicky Adams whipped in a corner in the 55th minute, Grainger was unmarked to score in front of the travelling away fans.

Adams then had a shot saved by Lee before Briggs tried a shot from distance which clipped the bar and McCourt’s strike just after was blocked by Clint Hill.

Bennett, who came on at half time, was 30 yards out when he tried a speculative effort which beat the diving Tommy Lee in the 73rd minute. 

Chris O’Grady, who came on for Andy Kellett, had a great opportunity to equalise when Rowley squared the ball back to him and his header from close range went over.

Dennis, who had been denied by a good save from Bonham, equalised with a glancing heading from Ian Evatt's ball into the area. 

Rowley made a good run and tried a chip which was tipped over by Bonham.

O’Grady had a chance in stoppage time, when Rowley put him through, but the striker was blocked by Hill. 

Chesterfield: Lee, Barry, Hird, Evatt, Wiseman, Rowley, Weir, McCourt, Briggs, Kellett (O'Grady), Dennis.

Unused substitutes: Mitchell, Sinnott, Anyon, Dimaio, De Girolamo, Maguire

Attendance: 5,102

Advertisement block