Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Spireites Defeated by Morecambe

14 October 2017

Sponsored by

The Spireites succumbed to a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Morecambe this afternoon, as goals from Adam McGurk and Garry Thompson were enough to seal all three points for the visitors.

The Shrimps took the lead against the run of play after 17 minutes. A foul by Robbie Weir gave McGurk the chance to have an effort at goal and it was an opportunity which he took, sending his free-kick past Joe Anyon to give Morecambe a 1-0 lead.

Despite that it was the Spireites who enjoyed the better chances, and should have been ahead before Morecambe's strike. Three chances came and went but somehow, they failed to find the net.

Kristian Dennis turned his man on 11 minutes before seeing his shot inside the area beaten away by Barry Roche.

The rebound was then saved again from Chris O'Grady's effort, before Joe Rowley picked up the loose ball. However, his cross was headed wide by Dennis.

It wasn't a half filled with quality, and Chesterfield could have been two down. A ball over the top found Aaron Wildig who surely would have doubled the Shrimps advantage if it wasn't for Scott Wiseman who made a brilliant block.

Before the break, Weir almost found an equaliser. Following a quick counter attack involving him and Dennis, Weir let fly from distance only to see his shot crash against the post and come back out.

Quickly after the restart Morecambe added their second goal of the game. A looping ball from the left was met by Thompson who took advantage of some lacklustre defending to find the net on 47 minutes.

The second half was similar to the first, as the Spireites created the better openings. They almost hit back straight after the goal as Louis Reed played Dennis in but his shot was saved.

That was the story of the game for the hosts who were made to rue missed opportunities. Substitute Connor Dimaio had an excellent chance on 53 minutes after the ball was pulled back, but he sent his effort over the bar.

Minutes later Dennis had another shot on goal as he worked space for himself on the edge of the box but it was saved by Roche.

Chances continued to fall for Chesterfield but they couldn't find a way through. Joe Rowley created an opening on 66 minutes but saw his effort saved at the near post, before Jordan Flores' free-kick was met by Ian Evatt and denied by the goalkeeper.

As the game approached the final ten minutes two more attempts went begging. Flores' fierce effort from a corner was saved by Roche and then Dennis headed over shortly after.

Diego de Girolamo also failed to find the net. With the game reaching its conclusion he first saw a shot saved before blasting an effort high and wide.

Chesterfield: Anyon, Barry, Wiseman, Evatt, Kellett, Rowley, Weir (Flores 64’), McCourt (Dimaio 49’), Reed, Dennis, O’Grady (De Girolamo 61’).

Substitutes: Jones (gk), Hird, Brewster, Briggs.

Morecambe: Roche, McGowan, Conlan, Old, Muller, Kenyon, Fleming, Wildig (Osborne 89’), Thompson (Rose 72’), McGurk (Turner 62’), Oliver.

Substitutes: Nizic (gk), Lavelle, Lund, Campbell

Attendance: 4,489 (120 visiting supporters).

Advertisement block