Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Spireites Exit FA Cup

4 November 2017

Sponsored by

Two first half goals ended Spireites interest in this season’s FA Cup. Alex Gillead and Alex Jones scored early and late in the first period to win it for Bradford City.

Jack Lester made three changes from the side that picked up a point at home to Carlisle United; Tommy Lee (shoulder) and Matt Briggs (groin) missed out whilst Robbie Weir moved to the bench so Joe Anyon, Conor Dimaio and Louis Reed returned with Ian Evatt wearing the armband.

Stuart McCall made four changes to his side following an impressive 1-0 away win at Portsmouth, Timothee Dieng, Luke Hendrie, Jones and Nat Knight-Percival coming in, Jones having scored a brace in Bantam’s 4-2 Checkatrade win at The Proact back in August.

These two have been paired together twice before in the World’s oldest competition, most recently at Valley Parade in 1975 when City won 1-0 with a late goal but Spireites came out on top way back in 1938 after two draws, Chesterfield won a second replay at the neutral Bramall Lane, 2-0 the score.

City took the lead early on when Jones fed Gilliead straight through the middle and the Newcastle United loanee slid the ball home.

Kristian Dennis then saw a shot saved by Colin Doyle and Andy Kellett hit wide ahead of Tim Dieng putting a series of shots wide.

There was a delay in play when ref Backhouse limped off and the fourth official, Paul Marsden took over in the middle.

Midfielder Tim Dieng found himself in three good positions before the break, but he failed to hit the target before the crucial passage of play that saw Jak McCourt’s low drive flicked in by Dennis, only for a flag wave to rule it out and within a blink of an eye, Jones scored his fourth goal of the season, three of them against Chesterfield.

Rowley hit over from a great position at the start of the second half following solid work by Andy Kellett and Bradley Barry had an on target angled effort blocked.

Anyon saved well to deny a whipped in shot by Wyke and a Taylor was also denied by the keeper with Jones hitting the loose ball high ahead of two more saves from Taylor shots, Dennis forcing a dive from Colin Doyle as Spireites sought to reduce the deficit but City were able to play low-risk football to protect their lead and find their way into the second round draw.

Bradford: Doyle, Thompson, Kilgallon, Knight-Percival, Hendrie, Gilliead (Robinson 87), Dieng (Devine 78), Vincelot, Taylor, Jones (Law 71), Wyke. Subs (not used): Raeder, Poleon, McCartan, Patrick.

Goals: Gilliead 4, Jones 44

Chesterfield: Anyon, Barry, Evatt, Hird, Wiseman, Dimaio (Sinnott 78), McCourt; Reed (O’Grady 71), Rowley (Mitchell 83), Kellet; Dennis. Subs (not used): Jones, De Girolamo, Weir, Maguire.

Ref: Anthony Backhouse (Cumbria) replaced by fourth official Paul Marsden

Bookings: Dimaio (Chesterfield)

Attendance 4,747 (380 from Chesterfield).

Advertisement block