Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

First Half Treble Sees Spireites Progress

2 November 2017

Sponsored by

The youth team progressed into the second round of the FA Youth Cup with a 3-1 victory over Notts County at the Proact this evening.

Goals from Ify Ofoegbu, an own goal by Ryan Ebanks and Joel Phillips secured the win, before Alex Howes scored a consolation for the visitors.

The result was a fifth straight win for Miguel Llera's side and means that they'll face Port Vale at home in the next round.

Captain Charlie Wakefield had first effort of the game, with a free kick that was palmed around the post by County goalkeeper Curtis Hall.

Two minutes later the Blues took the lead, striker Luke Rawson intercepted a poor back pass from a defender, he rounded Hall before pulling the ball back to Robbie Foster, whose effort was blocked, the rebound fell to Ofoegbu on the edge of the area and he hit a fierce right-footed drive across Hall and into the back of the net.

Magpies winger Jack Henchliffe came close to an equaliser, when following a cross from the left flank he saw his side-footed effort strike the base of Brad Jones' right-hand post and then into the arms of the 'keeper.

That miss was to prove crucial as the Spireites doubled their lead in the 26th minute, when good work from Wakefield found Foster in space on the left flank, Foster then beat Owen Newell and put a left footed cross into the area, where County centre half Ebanks diverted it into his own net.

Jones then denied Declan Dunn with a brilliant one-handed save from a free kick, before Phillips made it 3-0 with a rocket from 30-yards out.

A long ball was played forward and partially cleared, Phillips pounced on the loose ball and gave Hall no chance and sent Town into the interval with a three-goal lead.

After the interval Phillips came close to scoring his second. Firstly he latched on to a Rawson lay-off, beat Tyreece Kennedy-Williams, his shot was then deflected behind for a corner.

Wakefield then played in the set-piece, it evaded everyone bar Phillips, who took a touch before seeing his shot cleared off the line by Dunn. At other end, Alex Render produced a fine block to stop Henchcliffe from grabbing a consolation.

Llera introduced striker Levi Amantchi for Rawson in the second half and the substitute almost made an immediate impact, going on a mazy run before being crowded out by defenders.

Meanwhile at the other end Remaye Campbell rose highest from a Howes cross, but could only direct his header at Jones.

Kion Etete came close to pulling a goal back for the visitors when he headed Newell's cross against the cross bar. But 10 minutes from time the Magpies did pull a goal back, substitute Zhenyu He's effort struck the cross bar and the rebound was put in by Howes.

Jones then denied Dunn with another good save from a long-range effort as the Spireites held on to book their place in the next round.

Chesterfield: Jones, Emery, Render, Willock, Sharman, Holmes, Phillips, Ofoegbu (Turner 74'), Rawson (Amantchi 67'), Wakefield (Russ 77'), Foster.

Substitues not used: Walker, Sennett-Neilson.

Notts County: Hall, Newell, Kennedy-Williams, Dunn, Ebanks, Betts, Henchcliffe (Ramirez 80'), Etete, Campbell, Lambert (He 59'), Howes.

Substitutes not used: Lathall, Culverwell (gk), Robinson.

Advertisement block