Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Friendly Defeat Against Millers

25 July 2017

Sponsored by

Chesterfield lost 3-1 at home to League One Rotherham United on Tuesday night. David Ball, Jon Taylor and Ryan Williams scored for the visitors before Chris O'Grady's late consolation.

Chesterfield found themselves 2-0 down within the first 21 minutes.

A spell of Rotherham pressure at the beginning of the game was eventually rewarded when Ball found the back of the net on 17 minutes.
Kieffer Moore got in behind down the right-hand side before he picked out Ball in the middle who found the net via the post.

Ten minutes later it was 2-0 to the Millers when Taylor beat Joe Anyon to a long ball and was able to head into an empty net.

Taylor had threatened inside the opening minute, with Anyon forced to make a save. Minutes later Lee Frecklington saw his shot bounce wide, before Sam Hird was then forced to clear the ball off the line from Michael Ihiekwe's effort at the back post.

There wasn't much joy for Chesterfield in the opening 45 - the closest they came was when Connor Dimaio's cross was met at the back post by the head of Ian Evatt, but Millers keeper Richard O'Donnell saved.

O'Donnell was then on hand to save again before the half-hour mark, as he kept out O'Grady's shot from outside the box.

The Spireites' second-half performance was considerably better than the first and three chances came in quick succession at the start of the second 45. O'Grady had the first opportunity, as he took down a long ball brilliantl, before turning and then firing over the bar.

The same could be said for Scott Wiseman's opportunity moments later. Trialist Mickael Latour did well down the left before picking out Wiseman at the back post but his attempt was off-target.

Half-time substitute Gozie Ugwu then went close for the Spireites, testing O'Donnell in goal, before Charlie Wakefield missed a golden opportunity. Ugwu was at the centre of things again as he got to the byline before pulling it back to Wakefield, but he sent his shot over the bar.

Despite those chances, Rotherham were to add a third in the 79th minute. Anthony Forde raced down the left flank before crossing for Williams, whose shot looped over Anyon and found the net.

The Spireites did finally find the back of the net with three minutes remaining. The ball bounced around the penalty area before O'Grady picked up the loose ball and beat the goalkeeper for a consolation.

Chesterfield: Anyon, Wiseman (McGinn 70), Evatt, Hird, Barry (McCourt 46), Maguire, Latour (Mitchell 81), Wakefield (Donohue 67), Dimaio (Reed 46), Brewster (Ugwu 46), O’Grady. Subs: Lee.

Rotherham United: O’Donnell, Emmanuel, Mattock (Purrington 54), Ajayi, Frecklington (Dom Ball 74), Ball (Williams 71), Taylor (Yates 71), Potter (Forde 66), Ihiekwe, Newell (Vaulks 66), Moore (Clarke-Harris 71). Subs: Wood, Fisher, Price, Belaid.

Attendance: 2,498 (650 away)

Advertisement block