Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Spireites Lose at Stevenage

23 December 2017

Sponsored by

Chesterfield suffered a 5-1 defeat away at Stevenage in a disappointing afternoon at the Lamex Stadium.

A dramatic first-half saw four goals scored, with Danny Newton and Dale Gorman giving the hosts a two-goal lead before, Kristian Dennis’ first goal in three games got Chesterfield back into the match.

However, within 60 seconds of the restart, Newton’s cross was diverted into the back of the Spireites net by Jak McCourt to restore Stevenage’s two goal lead.

Striker Matt Godden scored twice after the interval to increase the host’s advantage.

The first-half drama started in the fifth minute, Ian Evatt missed a cross into the area Godden could turned and shot, but debutant goalkeeper Jake Eastwood was equal to the effort and turned it away for a corner-kick.

Minutes later, McCourt’s clearance stopped an almost certain goal, after Ronnie Henry’s miscued shot fell at the feet of Alex Samuel, but McCourt got in front of the Stevenage player to clear.

In the end the home side’s pressure told, Samuel’s whipped in cross allowed Newton to get across a town defender and flick the ball past Eastwood.

Once going behind, Chesterfield got themselves back into the game and had chances of their own.
Chris O’Grady had one shot saved and another blocked. Before, Louis Reed nearly latched onto Eastwood’s clearance, where goalkeeper Joe Fryer came out bravely to clear. 

Then, Ian Evatt’s miss-control, allowed Gorman through on goal and he calmly slotted it past Eastwood to double the host’s lead. In the lead up to the goal Evatt went down injured and was replaced by Connor Dimaio.

A turbulent final five minutes of the first-half followed, Dennis’ cross fell at the feet of O’Grady whose shot was blocked on the line and Andy Kellett’s follow up was smartly blocked too.

Seconds later, Kellett had another goal scoring chance which was turned away and Dimaio couldn’t convert the follow up.

The Spireites eventually had their goal when Kellett’s curling cross was met by the head of Kristan Dennis and he nodded it past Fryer.

Stevenage restored their two-goal lead seconds after conceding. Newton’s cross hit the unfortunate McCourt found the back of the net and give them a 3-1 lead heading into the break.

Chesterfield had a great opportunity to reduce the deficit early in the second half. Dimaio’s pass allowed Joe Rowley to fire his shot on-goal, but Fryer was alert and excellently turned the ball over the crossbar to keep the game at 3-1.

Stevenage again capitalised on poor Chesterfield defending, a clearance down field evaded the Spireites’ defence and Godden could run through and slot past the stranded Eastwood in goal.

The final goal of the afternoon came in the 72nd minute when Godden got his second of the match, he was left free inside the Chesterfield penalty area and cleverly dinked the ball over the onrushing Eastwood.

Stevenage: Fryer, Smith, Martin, King (Franks 79'), Samuel (Kennedy 79'), Gorman, Newton, Vancooten, Godden (Gray 74'), Henry, McKee.

Substitutes: Day (gk), Whelpdale, Beautyman, Pett.

Chesterfield: Eastwood Binnom-Williams, Hird, Wiseman, Evatt (Dimaio 28’), Dennis, O’Grady, Rowley, Kellett (De Girolamo 72), Reed, McCourt.

Substitutes not used: Parkin (gk), Mitchell, Wakefield, German, Ofoegbu.

Attendance 2,403.

Advertisement block