Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Spireites Hold on to Beat Heanor

19 December 2017

Sponsored by

Chesterfield withstood late pressure from Heanor Town, to progress to the quarter finals of the Derbyshire FA Senior Challenge Cup.

Reece Mitchell’s first half goal and a Shaun Raulston own goal gave the Spireites a 2-0 lead before Oliver Naylor’s late goal ensured a nervous finale.

The game’s first chance fell to the visitors when striker Jamie Sleigh was put through on goal by Elliott Reeves, his left footed shot was blocked by Dylan Hand, before the ball rebounded off him and out for a goal kick.

Chestefield’s best chance of the early stages came when striker Levi Amantchi turned Lions captain Raulston superbly outside of the box, he then beat another defender to leave himself one on one with goalkeeper Wayne White, however the striker then put the ball wide of the target.

But the Spireites didn’t have to wait long to take the lead, former Chelsea winger Mitchell took a shot from outside the area, it deflected off Roulston before looping over White and into the net.

Heanor came close to an equaliser in the 40th minute when Reeves once again found Sleigh, he knocked the ball past Jay Smith before Hand produced a superb sliding block. From the resulting corner, Nick Hall's header was easily saved by Dylan Parkin.

Ricky German could have doubled Chesterfield’s lead heading into the interval when he picked up a sloppy pass from a defender, he burst into the area before shooting over the bar.

In the second half, German got himself on to a long ball forward, he found Ify Ofoegbu who controlled the ball before shooting wide from the edge of the area.

Reeves' cross from the left was then palmed away by Parkin, Sleigh picked up the loose ball, fired towards goal but was only denied an equaliser by a good block from Smith.

The Spireites doubled their lead in the 64th minute when Charlie Wakefield’s free kick once again deflected off Raulston and ended up past White.

Heanor continued to press forward and almost pulled a goal back after Reeves’ half volley ended up just wide of Parkin’s right hand post.

German should then have scored the Spireites’ third after being put through by Mitchell, however the striker fired over from inside the area when one on one with White.

Reeves tested Parkin with an effort from distance, while Spireites substitute Luke Rawson came close to making an immediate impact, playing a one-two with Ofoegbu before forcing White into a smart save.

Naylor then fired past Parkin in the 86th minute to pull a goal back for the visitors, before Parkin was forced to make two more saves in the closing stages to ensure the Spireites’ victory.

Chesterfield will now face Belper Town at home in the next round, which will be played in the New Year.

Chesterfield: Parkin, Howard, Fowler, Smith (C), Hand, Brownell, Mitchell (Sharman 83’), Wakefield (Holmes 64’), Amantchi, German (Rawson 77’), Ofoegbu.

Substitutes not used: Marris (gk), Sennett-Neilson.

Heanor Town: White, Robley, Scott, Craddock, Roulston (C), Hall, Marriott, Gordon, Sleigh (Wilkinson 80’), Reeves, Lee (Naylor 31’).

Substitutes not used: Vickers, Wilson, Moore.

Attendance 282

Advertisement block