Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Dennis at it Again But Spireites Lose Late at Bury

24 September 2016

Sponsored by

Kristian Dennis levelled for the Spireites at Gigg Lane, but a late Tom Pope header saw Bury sneak a 2-1 win in Sky Bet League 1.

Moments after Conor Wilkinson had struck the post for the Spireites, Bury had the lead when Zeli Ismail finished neatly in the area, but within three minutes Dennis levelled matters from close range at the end of the first half.

However, Pope broke visiting hearts with a firm header late on to hand the Shakers the win to end an energetic encounter.

Bury started brightly in the first half and laid siege on Ryan Fulton’s goal early on. Ismail had a great chance to give Bury the lead when he got in front of Liam Graham, who came in for Dion Donohue for his debut, and scooped the ball over Fulton but wide of the post.

Ismail then tried to beat Fulton for a second time after a quarter of an hour when he fired in from the edge of the box but a fine stop from Fulton saw the ball parried away from danger.

Chesterfield began to calm Bury down and were more adventurous on the ball. Their first real chance came when Jay O’Shea picked out Graham in space on the left and he drove into the box, got past the defender but his shot from a tight angle went wide.

The game had really opened up at that point and Chesterfield came agonisingly close to taking the lead when Conor Wilkinson’s low freekick cannoned off the wrong side of the post.

The Spireites were then dealt a sucker punch a minute later when Ismail got on the end of a ball over the top with the defence caught napping and he smashed the ball across the goal giving Fulton no chance.

Bury’s lead barely last a minute, Wilkinson had room on the left hand side and crossed low for Dennis who got his foot on the end of it and his shot took a slight deflection as the ball found its way in the bottom corner. He’ll have less of a battle to claim this one compared to last week's.

Chesterfield began the second half more brightly than the first and were the team who looked the more likely to go on and win it.

Wilkinson was playing particularly well and had a good opportunity when he picked the ball up out on the left, cut inside and his curling effort was deflected just over the bar.

Gboly Ariyibi and Paul McGinn both had great chances just after the hour mark. First, the Scot found space 25 yards out and drilled in a shot but it just bobbled wide, following that, Ariyibi cut inside from the right but he was denied by a deflection that saw the ball sail over the bar.

The Spireites were then dealt a blow when McGinn had to go off with what looked like a hamstring problem.

He was replaced by Connor Dimaio who almost made an immediate impact. He played a neat one-two with Ariyibi but the Republic of Ireland U21 internationals goal bound shot was blocked right at the death on 79 minutes.

The game opened up again and was end-to-end, Bury found themselves on the counter attack and Ismail again was in a good position to score. He thought he’d won a penalty when his shot appeared to be blocked by an arm in a crowd of bodies.

Three minutes later Bury got the winner when substitute Tom Walker’s perfect cross was met by an unmarked Pope whose powerful header gave them all three points and fourth straight victory.

A brilliant goal line block from Gary Liddle stopped it from getting worse but it was more away heartbreak for Chesterfield who now have two home games in a week to put it right.

Bury: Williams (gk) - Jones, Leigh, Kay (c), Ismail, Pope, Vaughan, Mellis (Walker 73'), Soares (Etuhu 85'), Maher, Hope (Danns 61')

Subs not used: Rachubka (gk), Tutte, Dudley, Bryan

Chesterfield: Fulton (gk) - McGinn (Dimaio 76'), Hird, Anderson, Graham - O'Shea (Evatt 90'), Liddle (c), Nolan, Ariyibi - Dennis, Wilkinson (Gardner 85')

Subs not used: Parkin (gk), Mitchell, German, Maguire


Bury: Ismail 41', Pope 87'

Chesterfield: Dennis 44'

Attendance: 3,494 (482 away fans)

Advertisement block