Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Spireites Well Beaten by Stanley in Checkatrade Trophy

4 October 2016

Sponsored by

Three first half Accrington Stanley goals paved the way for a Chesterfield defeat in the Checkatrade Trophy, the Spirietes eventually falling 4-1 at the Proact.

Former trialist Gary Taylor-Fletcher scored from close range before Terry Gornell finished impressively. To top the first-half misery Jordan Clark netted a third from long-range ahead of the interval.

Half-time substitute Kristian Dennis pulled one back for the Spireites just past the hour with a low drive, but the defecit was soon back up to three as Gornell struck again. 

Dan Gardner was the first to sting the hands of former Spireites stopper Aaron Chapman as he struck a viscous volley on the edge of the penalty area, the Stanley ‘keeper only able to parry it wide. 

Accrington responded on the counter, Clark had driven the ball forward and flashed it across the goalmouth but the ball went inches past the attacker’s sliding feet. 

An interchange of passes between Jon Nolan and Jay O’Shea saw the latter float a lopped ball into the box, Gary Liddle was chasing but Chapman beat him to it. 

The scoring was opened by new Stanley signing Taylor-Fletcher (14) who reacted fastest when Lloyd Allinson fumbled Accrington’s original effort. A goal-mouth scramble left the forward with a free header and he comfortably nodded home. 

Instead of sparking a Spireites revival, it instead buoyed the away side and Stanley doubled their advantage in the 21st minute. The two forwards exchanged possession on the edge of the area and Gornell struck crisply into the top right-hand corner. 

Chances had been lacking throughout the match as Nolan tried his luck from a corner, his inswinging delivery surprised the away side’s defence and Chapman nervously knocked it wide.

The away side added a third minutes before halftime as Clark (42) fired a strike from 25 yards into the top right-hand corner leaving Allinson with no choice but to pick the ball out of his net once more. 

The Spireites introduced two strikers at half time in a bid to salvage the match and Ricky German nearly made an instant impact after chasing down the ball but the young forward struck narrowly over the bar. 

The teenager got his second chance of the match after an acute ball from Dennis, but the forward instead sent it backwards and it was cleared by Stanley. 

Accrington thought a second goal from distance beckoned as Allinson left his goal to clear the ball, but the ‘keeper recovered well to catch the attempted lob. 

An incisive strike from substitute Dennis (61) finally opened the Spireites' account in the second half, the forward sliding a low shot into the far corner. 

Moments later O’Shea nearly sparked a Spireites comeback, the winger cut inside and attempted to curl a shot to the ‘keepers left, but it took a deflection and floated wide. 

Hopes of a revival were dashed as Stanley struck their fourth of the evening, an unmarked Gornell (66) received the ball just inside the area and confidently beat Allinson. 

With the away side's fourth all but settling the tie, Nolan attempted a 25-yard strike of his own, but the midfielder’s attempt flew over the cross-bar. 

Chesterfield: Allinson (gk) - Maguire, Evatt, Anderson, Ofoegbu - Humphreys (German 46), Liddle (c), Nolan - Gardner (Dennis 46'), Ariyibi, O'Shea (Mitchell 65')

Subs not used: Parkin (gk), Simons, Beesley, Daly

Accrington Stanley: Chapman (gk) - Hughes, Clark (McCarten 78'), Gornell, McConville, Jones, Taylor-Fletcher, (Eagles 55') Lacey (Davies 58'), Hewitt, Sykes, Donecien

Subs not used: Pearson, Boco, Webb, Parish


Chesterfield: Dennis 61'

Accrington Stanley: Taylor-Fletcher 14', Gornell 21' 66', Clark 42'

Attendance: 976

Advertisement block