Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Sky Blues Loss as Spireites' Drought Continues

1 November 2016

Sponsored by

The Spireites' month-long drought of points and goals was stretched further at the Ricoh Arena as two second half goals saw the visitors fall 2-0 to Coventry City.

The Spireites went close to finding that elusive goal in the first half, three quick-fire efforts blocked on or near the line. The visiting chances were coming but midway through the second period City took one of theirs when Jordan Willis fired in following an uncleared corner.

With the Spireites regathering after falling behind, they received a second blow with ten minutes to go as substitute Andy Rose swept home in the box as the sinking feeling grew for the goal-less Spireites, with Lewis Page seeing red for a second yellow in stoppage time for the Sky Blues.

Danny Wilson’s side had the better of the first half. Jay O’Shea did well to set up Kristian Dennis but he couldn’t get a shot away as the Spireites looked the brighter of the two in the opening ten minutes.

Chesterfield should have been in front after 21 minutes. Dion Donohue did excellently to beat the defender and get to the by-line and his cut back found Ched Evans who’s first time shot was blocked on the line. The ball fell to Gboly Ariyibi whose effort was again blocked by a Sky Blues defender. The ball fell straight back to Ariyibi who cut it back across to Evans who’s attempt was again blocked and, unbelievably, the score remained 0-0.

The game opened up after that as both teams looked adventurous but defences were on top heading towards the break.

The Spireites had the last chance of the half after a nice move saw Dennis and Evans linked up to find Connor Dimaio on the edge of the box who set up O’Shea who fired a low drive straight at Lee Burge.

Coventry came out and looked stronger in the second half and were tested by a Marcus Tudgay header but Ryan Fulton was equal to it.

Evans came close after 55 minutes, receiving the ball 25 yards, he managed to find space through two defenders to launch a powerful shot towards the Coventry goal but the ball floated wide.

Evans looked the most likely for the Spireites, First the Welshman fired a shot from distance which was well saved, then he picked up the ball deep in the Sky Blues half skipped past his man but his tame effort was comfortably saved just after the hour.

The Spireites would then go on to rue their luck as Coventry won a questionable corner the ball ping-ponged in the area and then fell to Willis who smashed the ball into Fulton’ net from close range with just over 20 minutes to go.

The Spireites went in search of an equaliser and were putting of plenty of crosses into the box but the ball wouldn’t fall to a blue shirt.

City went down the other end on the break and substitute Rose turned in Page’s cross from the left to double Coventry’s lead on the 80th minute.

Chesterfield went straight down the other end in search of a goal and O’Shea’s delicious cross was met by Evans who didn’t quite make the contact he would have liked with ball and it cannoned wide.

Page was given a second yellow card in stoppage time but there was little time to make the most of the man advantage despite late pressure.

It was another encouraging performance, particularly in the first half but it was disappointment for the Spireites who travel to Colchester United on Saturday in the FA Cup first round.

Coventry City: Burge (GK) - Sterry, Willis (C), Turnbull, Page, Stevenson, Bigirimana, Jones (Lameiras 67'), Reid, Agyei (Sordell 76'), Tudgay (Rose 67')

Subs not used: Charles-Cook (GK), Ricketts, Maycock, Wright

Chesterfield: Fulton (gk) - Hird, Evatt, Liddle (c) - Donohue, O'Shea (Mitchell 86'), Dimaio, O'Neil, Ariyibi - Dennis (German 77'), Evans

Subs not used: Allinson (gk), Nolan, Anderson, Maguire, Graham


Coventry City: Willis 68', Rose 81'

Attendance: 7,941 (217 Spireites fans)

Advertisement block