Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Reserves Secure Scunthorpe Scalp

8 March 2016

Sponsored by

A goal in either half helped the Spireites reserve side to a comfortable 2-0 win over Scunthorpe United at the Proact.

Right-back Liam Graham gave the Spireites the lead early on as he poached at the back post from a Jordan Slew centre, soon after the break Laurence Maguire made it two from close range.

The Spireites dominated the opening stages and should have taken the lead within the first five minutes. Slew worked some space in the box, fired at goal but his shot was blocked, the rebound came back to Rai Simons but Ben Ledger made a good save in the Scunthorpe goal.

The hosts deservedly took the lead in the 13th minute through Graham. Jake Orrell worked the ball nicely down the left hand side before find Slew who hit a low cross for the arriving Graham who finished with ease.

Chesterfield continued to dominate proceedings with Orrell and Slew both having efforts at goal, with the latter beginning to have a real influence in the game.

Slew again had a chance to double the Spireites lead when he drove into the box and unleashed a curling effort but Ledger made a fine save.

The visitors slowly grew into the game and had their first real effort in the 40th minute through Noel Burdett but his low effort was saved comfortably by Aaron Chapman in the Spireites goal. 

Scunthorpe then had claims for a penalty after Leslie Sackey was challenged by Michael Onovwigun, but the referee waved away protests and the half ended 1-0 to the home side.

The second half started in the same way as the first with the Spireites dominating and they should have doubled their lead through Simons when he saw his effort saved from inside the area by the 'keeper before firing the rebound wide.

In the 53rd minute Chesterfield did double their lead through Maguire. A corner from Orrell went all the way through to Slew who had an effort at goal but Maguire poked it in on the line from three yards out.

The hosts continued to have constant spells of pressure with Graham particularly getting a lot of joy down the right-hand side as the Spireites probed for a third goal.

With just over 15 minutes left to play, Slew picked up the ball and ran at the Scunthorpe defence before producing a powerful drive towards goal but it was blocked by a recovering defender. 

A minute later, Slew thought he should have had a penalty but again the referee waved away the protests.

In the 79th minute, Simons had another chance to get his name on the scoresheet when he met substitute Derek Daly’s cross, but his volley flew over the bar.

The Spireites continued to press for a third through substitute Callum Greaves but his low effort went just wide. Chesterfield used the ball patiently and controlled the game with ease as they saw the game out to record a comfortable win.

Chesterfield: Chapman (gk), Graham, Jones, Onovwigun, Raglan, Maguire, Simons, Dieseruvwe, Slew, Orrell, Triallist

Subs: Daly, Keillor-Dunn, Greaves

Scunthorpe United: Ledger (gk), Shilling, Bartholomew, Atkinson, Cleminshaw, Butroid, Burdett, Sutton, Sackey, Sithole, Dyche

Subs: McMichael, Parker, Hornshaw


Chesterfield: Graham 13', Maguire 52'

Advertisement block