Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Flashback: Spireites' Cup Comeback Halts Scunny

19 March 2016

Sponsored by

With the Spireites heading to Scunthorpe United for a match this afternoon here's another look at a terrific match between the sides from last season.

The Spireites and the Iron met four times during 2015 and while Chesterfield lost on both occasions in the league they managed a fantastic comeback in the FA Cup.

Scunthorpe United 2 - 2 Chesterfield – Saturday, January 6, 2015

Heading into the third round of the FA Cup Chesterfield had defeated Braintree Town and MK Dons after a controversial replay. The Spireites were also in strong form being unbeaten in their three previous outings a draw against Coventry City followed successive 3-2 victories against Gillingham and Peterborough.

As for Scunthorpe, they had knocked out Forest Green in the first round before going through on penalties after two 1-1 draws with Worcester City. Scunny were in terrific form coming into the game going unbeaten six successive League One games. This run had helped the Iron climb out of the relegation zone, though they had conceded in all six of these games.

The home side started the better as a poor clearance from the Chesterfield defence fell to Scunthorpe centre-back Alex Davey. Davey managed to stay composed on the edge of the area, curling his effort into the top corner of Tommy Lee’s net as the Spireites fell behind after 20 minutes.

Chesterfield looked for an equaliser but a mistake in midfield allowed Scunthorpe to double their lead just before the interval. Ritchie Humphreys’ attempted header went the wrong way and allowed Lyle Taylor to go one-on-one with Lee, and the striker smashed the ball home to put Chesterfield 2-0 down at the break.

However, the Spireites weren’t deterred as they carried on pressing and looked for a way back into the game. The opportunity arose with 20 minutes remaining when Chesterfield were awarded a penalty. Striker Eoin Doyle sent Sam Slocombe the wrong way and gave the Spireites a chance as the sides headed towards the final whistle.

With just five minutes remaining the visitors pulled themselves level as the ball was cut back across the Scunthorpe area and O’Shea smashed the ball home from near the penalty spot before wheeling off to celebrate in front of a stand of ecstatic travelling Spireites supporters.

Chesterfield had a chance to win the game when Sam Morsy struck the ball with power from a tight angle but Slocombe managed to keep hold of the ball. 

However, in the end it wouldn’t matter as Chesterfield earned a replay which they would win 2-0 after extra time at the Proact Stadium.

The Spireites side that day: Lee (gk), Hird, Raglan, Humphreys, Clucas, Darikwa, Morsy, Roberts, Boco, Gnanduillet, Doyle

Advertisement block