Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Flashback: Fleetwood Town

25 March 2016

Sponsored by

Ahead of the Spireites hosting of Fleetwood this weekend we have a look back at the last time the Cod Army visited the Proact Stadium.

The sides have met nine times since Fleetwood’s promotion to the Football League and actually met four times in 2014 alone.

Chesterfield 3-0 Fleetwood Town - Saturday, February 28, 2015

Chesterfield’s form in the build-up to the game had been poor, losing four league games on the run. Defeats to Preston, Leyton Orient and Scunthorpe were followed up with a 1-0 away defeat to Rochdale which meant the Spireites had slid out of the play-off places for the first time since early January.

Fleetwood came into the game on the back of some mixed form having earned four points from games against Peterborough and Barnsley before losing to Crewe. However, a 2-1 victory in their most recent outing versus Notts County meant that the Cod Army had climbed above Chesterfield in the table. 

The game was a huge one in terms of the play-off race with Chesterfield, Bradford, Rochdale, Peterborough, Fleetwood and Barnsley all being within three points of each other in the top six scrap.

However, the Spireites managed to put an end to their poor run of form and earn a comfortable 3-0 victory over their fellow promotion hopefuls.

Caolon Lavery opened the scoring for the home side before Sam Hird struck again before half time. Antoni Sarcevic saw red for the visitors before Sam Morsy wrapped the game up midway through the second half for Chesterfield as they climbed back above their opponents in the League One table.

The home side were on top in the early stages but couldn’t find a goal until just past the half hour mark when clever link up play between Tendayi Darikwa and early substitute Gboly Ariyibi created an opening for Lavery. In a crowded penalty area Lavery managed to turn and find the bottom corner to put the Spireites ahead. 

Fleetwood tried their best to keep the game at 1-0, with Ian Evatt’s header from a free-kick forcing Chris Maxwell into a fantastic reflex save. However, Maxwell could only parry the ball back into the penalty area and Hird reacted quickest poking the ball home from close range to give Chesterfield a two-goal cushion going into the break. 

The miseries were only compounded for the visitors as Sarcevic was booked twice in the space of a minute in the aftermath of the goal for dissent.

Chesterfield’s third came after some well-worked football with Sam Clucas starting the move off before finding Morsy.

Morsy played a neat through ball to Ariyibi who took a touch before pulling back for an onrushing Morsy who powered the ball home to finish the game off. 

The result meant that Chesterfield leapfrogged Fleetwood and got themselves back into the play-off places; a position in which they would finish the season. 

The Spireites side that day: Lee, Hird, Jones, Evatt, Banks, Clucas, Darikwa, Morsy, Roberts, Ryan, Lavery. 

Subs: Chapman, Raglan, Humphreys, Ariyibi, O’Shea, Dieseruvwe, Harrison. 

Advertisement block