Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Chesterfield and Fleetwood Draw a Blank

26 March 2016

Sponsored by

There was plenty of blood and guts but despite chances for both sides the two bottom-end battles had to be content with a point each in a 0-0 draw at the Proact

The best Spireites chances fell to Ollie Banks in the first half and Jay O'Shea in the second while David Henen often threatened an away goal at the other end. No-one would find the net however.

Danny Wilson made two changes from the draw against Scunthorpe last weekend. Chris Herd and Drew Talbot replaced Declan John and Connor Dimaio due to call-ups from their respective countries.

It didn’t take long for the game to spring into life, straight from the kick-off Gboly Aryibi tested the Fleetwood midfield with a darting run and former Chesterfield man Jimmy Ryan received a yellow card within the first 30 seconds. 

The first half chance fell to the Spireites with Novak testing the Fleetwood right back and sent in a testing ball but O’Shea was just beaten by the defender. 

The visitors started to get a foothold on the game and Ashley Hunter’s low ball from the wing managed to avoid everyone in the box, with the ball falling to Amari’i Bell, but his effort was cleared for a corner. 

After some good pressure from Sam Hird on Marcus Nilsson in midfield he managed to steal the ball off the defender and send Novak through on goal. The striker beat the 'keeper to the ball but dived and received a yellow card from referee Nigel Miller. 

After a good spell of chances in the first ten minutes the game began to slow down with both teams looking nervous in possession. 

The Spireites first real clear cut chance fell on the 20 minute mark. After some good play from O’Shea he sent Banks through on goal but the midfielder curled over Chris Maxwell’s bar. 

Fleetwood also had a chance of their own, and a smooth counter attack with Stefan Scougall taking charge found David Bell with a powerful pass but his ambitious shot went well over the bar. 

The visitors, looking well organised going forward, were beginning to look a threat with the Chesterfield back-line struggling. Henan found himself in-between Hird and Tom Anderson with the latter pulling his shirt to avoid the winger going through on goal and picked up a yellow, the third of the game. 

It was all Fleetwood towards the end of the first half and Henan was beginning the cause problems down the left hand side. His powerful low cross was beaten away from Tommy Lee. 

The biggest chance of the half fell to and was created by Banks, fed by O'Shea he turned sharply beat his man, but in the clear, swirled his shot narrowly over the crossbar.

On the other side of the wing Hunter put in a high cross which fell to Thomas Grant unmarked, but his header fell wide of the post. 

It was Fleetwood who registered another chance on goal. Hunter, looking instrumental in the first half put in another cross which just evaded Ball in the six yard box. 

On the stroke of the half time whistle the Spireites almost took the lead. Ariyibi went toe-to-toe with Tyler Forbes and played a lovely switch to O’Shea who fed in Novak but his flick went agonisingly wide of the post. 

Wilson decided to switch things up at the break and put on loan signing Jamal Campbell-Ryce who replaced Herd to add some attacking impetus. 

Fleetwood started the second half brightly, looking the more likely to score the opening goal. The ever-energetic Henan picked the ball up inside the midfield and unleashed a shot from 25 yards out which whistled past Lee’s post. 

Two minutes later and Forbes rushed into the box and had a go himself, but again the ball landed just wide. 

The Spireites finally grew into the half; a slick move from Chesterfield ended at O’Shea’s feet inside the box and his ferocious shot went inches over the bar. 

Chesterfield were beginning to add chances to their game and a O’Shea’s corner fell to captain Gary Liddle in the six yard area but he failed to convert his header. 

Fleetwood manager Steven Pressely put on Devante Cole with half an hour to go to try and find a valuable winner for the visitors, Henan again causing problems to beat Campbell Ryce and hit a 30 yard shot but Lee saved easily low down. 

Chesterfield were beginning to pick up momentum. Ariyibi made a mazy run inside the box with the ball landing to Banks who whipped in a cross but evaded Novak in the centre.

Similarly to the first half, despite early action both teams began to tire and were both struggling to create any chances going forward. 

The next chance of the game fell to the hosts. A Campbell-Ryce corner caused havoc inside the box with the ball finally falling to Hird, who smashed a shot, which was blocked and landed to Aryibi who saw his powerful effort sail wide. 

Despite plenty of tackles flying in and a lot of ground covered from both teams, neither side could find that killer instinct to take the lead. 

With just ten minutes to go in the match, both managers were doing their best to try and steal all three points. Sylvan Ebanks-Blake replaced O’Shea and Eggert Jonsson replaced Scougall for the visitors. 

With substitutes on for both sides, the game opened up and the visitors could have taken the lead. Bell put in a killer ball which was met by Hunter but his side foot shot went straight to Lee. 

The wind was beginning to pick up at the Proact with the game edging out. Campbell-Ryce whipped in a good ball to Novak, unmarked, but his flicked header couldn’t find the net.   

Referee Miller added four minutes on at the end of the half and both teams were still battling it out to grab three valuable points. 

In the dying seconds of the game substitute Jordan Slew ran at the Fleetwood defence and passed to Banks but his attempt went way over the bar to conclude the afternoon's action.  

Chesterfield: Lee (gk), Talbot, Hird, Anderson, O'Neil - O'Shea (Ebanks-Blake 80'), Herd (Campbell-Ryce 46'), Liddle (c), Banks, Ariyibi - Novak (Slew 88')

Subs not used: Chapman (gk), Humphreys, Raglan, Orrell

Fleetwood Town: Maxwell (gk), Forbes, Nilsson, Jordan, Bell, Ryan (c), Grant (Cole 60'), Scougall (Jonsson 82'), Hunter, Ball, Henen (Deacon 71')

Subs not used: Gogic (gk), Pond, Nirennold, Haughton

Attendance: 6,435 (153 away fans)

Advertisement block