Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Cambpell-Ryce Back With a Bang to Secure Scunthorpe Point

19 March 2016

Sponsored by

Jamal Campbell-Ryce scored with the first touch of his second Spireites debut as today's loan signing earned a huge point in a 1-1 draw a Scunthorpe United.

The Iron made a dominant start and had the lead before the midpoint of the half when Paddy Madden sprung the offside trap, rounded Tommy Lee and gave the hosts the opening goal and a half time lead.

Improved after the interval, it was a crackerjack of a first Spireites touch for on-loan signing Campbell-Ryce who drilled the visitors level from O'Shea's low centre on the hour mark.

Scunthorpe began the stronger off the two sides, and made the most of a sloppy ball from Connor Dimaio inside the first five minutes. Tom Hopper collected the loose ball and drove forward, but struck it from distance, failing to trouble Tommy Lee.

The Spireites began the half on the counter and were happy to soak up the early Iron pressure. Gboly Ariyibi attacked a poor Scunthorpe freekick and pumped the ball forward to Jay O’Shea, the number 10 attempted to turn Connor Townsend but was outmuscled.

Townsend broke away down the left-hand side as Scunthorpe continued to control possession. The full-back drove a low cross into the box, but Sam Hird threw himself in-front of it, ensuring he beat the lurking Madden to the ball.

Scunthorpe, still unable to make possession pay, swung in another cross, this time from the opposite flank as Jordan Clark lofted a ball into the area.

Madden attempted to attack the ball again but this time Gary Liddle was there to beat him to it; the captain then sliced his kick, but luckily the ball fell comfortable into the hands of Lee.

Only the Spireites defensive resilience was keeping them in the game, as they struggled for possession.

Hird eventually won the ball and found the attacking Declan John, who raced down the left wing. However, the on-loan full-back was unable to make much distance, losing the ball.

It was at this point, 18 minutes in, that Scunthorpe capitalised on their sustained pressure. Madden was able to stay narrowly onside and round Lee then, despite still facing three defenders on the line, placed the ball into the net.

Evidently struggling to keep hold of possession, and with Novak looking increasingly isolated up front alone, Chesterfield switched to a more attacking 4-4-1-1.

This sparked a Spireites attack, with John once again getting forward. The ball found its way to Novak who drove forward himself. The 27-year-old ignored his team-mates and struck from distance but failed to trouble Luke Daniels.

The away side were beginning to get a grip on the game, as Liam O’Neill flicked a ball into the box. It sailed invitingly towards O’Shea, who swung at it. It came off the attacker's knee, landing in the hands of Iron goalkeeper Daniels.

With ten minutes of the half remaining Chesterfield were briefly reduced to ten men, Hird taking a knock to the head from Hopper. He returned bandaged shortly after.

Chesterfield then got their best chance of the half as a loose ball bounced across the Iron box. It found its way to Dimaio who was waiting on the edge of the area. The midfielder took a touch and attacked a half-volley with his laces, it dipped but was tippeded over by Daniels.

The away side returned from half time fighting as they looked to change the momentum of the game. They gained two early free kicks which put the Iron under pressure, but ultimately came to nothing.

It was then an instant impact from debutant Campbell-Ryce. The winger had been on the field just moments when he raced into the box, O’Shea dragged the ball back and the winger rifled the ball into the Iron net to equalise.

The new number 13 was making his second debut at the club after a previous temporary stint in 2004, on-loan from Charlton.

The Spireites were bouncing with Campbell-Ryce at the heart of things. The 32-year-old drove down the left wing and this time it was him who found O’Shea, but the number 10 was frustratingly surrounded, and dragged down by the Iron, the ball going out for a corner.

A visibly frustrated Scunthorpe then attempted two quick fire shots from distance, the first from Jim O’Brien and the second from substitute Luke Williams, though neither troubled Lee.

The last chance of the game came in the dying moments, a loose ball was latched on to by Madden. The forward struck it at goal but a heroic Lee jumped in front of the shot and took it straight in the chest, desperately clinging onto the ball to confirm a point for his side.

Scunthorpe United: Daniels (gk) - Mirfin, Madden, O'Brien, Bishop (Williams 74'), Dawson (c), Townsend, Hopper (Wootton 65'), Wallace, Ness (McSheffrey 82'), Clarke

Subs not used: Anyon (gk), Laird, Adelakun, King

Chesterfield: Lee (gk) - John, Hird, Anderson, O'Neil - O'Shea, Banks (Talbot 88'), Liddle (c), Dimaio (Campbell-Ryce 59'), Ariyibi - Novak

Subs not used: Chapman (gk), Raglan, Slew, Orrell, Ebanks-Blake


Scunthorpe United: Madden 18'

Chesterfield: Campbell-Ryce 60'

Advertisement block