Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

#HungarySpireites - Tour Diary: Day 1

9 July 2016

Sponsored by

Here we go then, day one of our #HungarySpireites tour diary, taking you behind the scenes of this year's training camp, with some juicy tidbits as we go along.

After a week of pre-season hard graft, the training camp and trip to Hungary began almost at the very start of Saturday morning, with the players and coaches assembling at the Proact for 6:30am sharp.

A kind Saturday morning M1 allowed us to arrive in Luton not long after nine, only for a bit of a hiccup to greet us on arrival: our flight was delayed by three hours due to a 'change of aircraft'.

Every cloud has silver sides of course, and ours came in the form of a £4 food voucher, used by some for water, others for sandwiches and with frugality by the many players who didn't have bank accounts allowing them access to the airport lounges. Ian Evatt did, and that he sat at the window looking over the rest of us was surely not coincidental.

Finally it was time to head to our gate and board, with an uneventful two hours to pass over to Budapest. Paul McGinn unearthed his high-end headphones to watch a film, apologetically referring to them as part of his "footballer's kit 101, aren't they?".

Off the plane, luggage picked up, without a single (in some cases) Louis Vuitton manbag lost or scuffed and we took an hour-long and very country-road kind of a coach trip to Telki, our base for the week and the sit of the Globall Sports Hotel - that's not a typo by the way - where Luton Town are also staying until tomorrow and Wednesday's arch rivals from Apollon Limassol are already here.

As happens, a quick bag drop in the rooms and an explore of the facilities were taken. The swimming pool was found, but alas it was already full of footballers. It was only on closer inspection that it became clear that the pool was full of Spireites.

Within 15 minutes of check-in Mal Purchase was whipping the entire squad into shape in the pool. That's the SAS background for you.

An hour later and dinner turned out to be very good, not to mention green-leaved and healthy. By this time it was already 9:30pm (Hungary being an hour ahead of Chesterfield, and the rest of the UK for that matter) and yawns were being stifled.

After the next day's schedule was related, there was just time for physio Rodger Wylde to assess the treatment room in our assigned dressing room and asking one of the hotel's staff, Luca, for his phone number in case it was needed.

Our physio listened to the the whole number before prouncing: "Sorry, I didn't bring my phone."

More tomorrow!

Iain Pearce - Spireites Media Team

Advertisement block