Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

RESERVES: Chesterfield Share Notts County Spoils

5 January 2016

Sponsored by

Byron Harrison netted twice, either side of two Notts County goals, as Chesterfield claimed a 2-2 Final Third Development League draw.

After Notts County had hit the post early on, the Spireites had the lead on 29 minutes when triallist Nana Yiadom pounced on some Julian Jenner defensive dallying, shot and after a save Harrison was able to put home the rebound.

With both sides creating chances, County pulled themselves level when Jimmy Spencer headed home from close range after Rhys Sharpe's clever cross.

The game seemed to be idling towards a draw until a last minute flurry saw a goal scored for each side. A ball into the box caused the home defence problems and substitute Kyle De Silva was able to scramble home for County, with Harrison then netting with confidence in injury time to end the game in a draw after all.

It was Notts County who registered the first chance of the game. A mazy run from Genaro Snijders found Colby Bishop in the box but his shot deflected wide for a corner. 

The visitors were on top in the opening stages of the first half, and they had another chance to take the lead. After some hard work from Bishop, the ball was pulled back to Belgian Gill Swerts but Aaron Chapman did terrifically well to deny the midfielder. 

Despite the visitors dominating, it was the Spireites who took the lead. Yiadom closed down Jenner, got his shot away but was saved by experienced ‘keeper Scott Loach, with Harrison on call to slot home. 

Chesterfield soon had two great chances to double their lead. First, Michael Onovwigun found goal scorer Harrison in the box but Loach saved well. Five minutes later and Yiadom failed to convert after some good work from right-back Jake Beesley.

It was a slow start to the second half and it took until the 71st minute to see a chance. After confusion in the Notts County back line, players thinking the referee had given a free kick, Dieseruvwe stormed one-on-one with the keeper but failed to score. 

Chesterfield were made to pay for their missed chances. Sharpe’s pin-point cross was met by Spencer who was free at the back post and the striker headed home the equaliser. 

With just seven minutes to go, youth team player Tom Marshall’s curling 30 yard strike was brilliantly saved by Loach denying the Spireites three points. 

Despite a quiet start to the second half, the game ended in dramatic fashion. Notts County took the lead for the first time in the game as substitute De Silva muscled his way through the Chesterfield back line. 

With Chesterfield looking beaten, Harrison then got a well-earned draw for the Spireites, the striker turned his defender and curled home a wonderful finish to see the game end level. 

Chesterfield: Chapman (gk) - Daly, Maguire, Hudson, Beesley - Yiadom (Keillor-Dunn 70'), Onovwigun, Marshall, Orrell - Dieseruvwe, Harrison

Subs not used: Greaves, Parkin (gk), Daswell

Notts County: Loach (gk) - Wildin, Sharpe, Swerts, Sprockel, Audel, Jenner, Valencic, Spencer, Bishop, Snijders (De Silva 61')

Subs not used: Searson (gk), Sarpong, Pilkington, Smith


Chesterfield: Harrison 29' 90'

Notts County: Spencer 75', De Silva 89'

Advertisement block