Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Peterborough United Flashback

6 February 2016

Sponsored by

Ahead of the Spireites clash with Peterborough United this weekend in League One we look back at memorable meeting between the sides on Boxing Day 2014.

Chesterfield and Peterborough have met three times in League One over the past two seasons and also contested a Johnstone’s Paint Trophy final back in 2014.

Chesterfield 3-2 Peterborough

In 2014 both Chesterfield and Peterborough were competing in League One. The Spireites were back in League One after winning the League Two title in May of 2014. Whereas Peterborough were in League One for a second season running after losing in the 2014 play-off semi-finals to Leyton Orient.

Before the game the Spireites were coming through a tough patch having only won two of their last 11 games however they had managed a 3-2 victory over Gillingham in their last outing. Similarly Peterborough were also struggling having only won one of their last eight league games and they came into the game on the back of a 1-0 home defeat to Preston.

It was Chesterfield who managed to get their season back on track with a 3-2 victory over the Posh. Striker Eoin Doyle managed to score a brace either side of an Armand Gnanduillet goal to give the home side a 3-0 lead. However the Spireites did have to see off a late Peterborough comeback as Michael Bostwick and Marcus Maddison got on the scoresheet for the visitors.

Chesterfield were immediately in the ascendency and made their early dominance count. Tendayi Darikwa’s powerful run and low cross were inch perfect for Doyle who managed to flick the ball into the goal after just ten minutes.

The Irish forward was also instrumental in Chesterfield's second. He managed to control a lobbed pass forward before poking the ball into the centre of the Peterborough area. An onrushing Gnanduillet had all the time in the world to slide the ball past Ben Alnwick to give the Spireites a two-goal cushion which the home side took into the break.

Chesterfield’s dominance continued in the second half and, in similar fashion to the first half, they managed to score after just ten minutes. Doyle received the ball around 30 yards from goal before taking a touch and unleashing a thunderbolt which flew past Alnwick and into the bottom corner. This was Doyle’s twentieth goal of the campaign so far - and he celebrated by swinging the corner flag over his head.

However, the visitors weren’t going down without a fight as centre-back Bostwick headed home a Maddison freekick with half an hour remaining. The Posh then sensed they could get something from the game.

They got one step closer when Maddison whipped in a ball aimed for Luke James however the forward failed to get a touch but this didn’t matter as the ball managed to creep its way into the far corner and Peterborough were back withiin touching distance.

The Posh had a late chance to seal a draw as the ball bounced off Ritchie Humphries and went through to Harry Beautyman. Beautyman found himself running through on goal one-on-one with Ian Evatt chasing. Spireites goalkeeper Tommy Lee was equal to the task and made an incredible close range save to earn Chesterfield all three points.

The victory for the Spireites meant they overtook opponents Peterborough in the League One table and left themselves just two points off the play-off places.

Advertisement block