Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Spireites Pegged Back and Picked off in Posh Comeback

10 December 2016

Sponsored by

Behind early on and before going ahead themselves, the Spireites were outgunned in the second half as they fell to a 5-2 away defeat at Peterborough United.

The Posh were ahead seconds after kick-off when Paul Taylor's centre was put in via a deflection by Tom Nichols, however rapid-fire strikes from range from Ched Evans and Liam O'Neil put Spireites noses in front. However, on the stroke of the break and against the run of play, Posh were level thanks to glorious Gwion Edwards strike.

Into the second half and Peterborough regained the lead through a venomous Paul Taylor volley, before a breakway allowed Nichols to net his second. Bostwick added a home fifth in the last ten minutes.

Peterborough took the lead when Taylor got past Gary Liddle and his cross found Nichol, whose deflected effort found its way into the bottom corner after less than a minute.

The Spireites grew in confidence with the attacking quartet of Jake Beesley, Evans, Rai Simons and Jay O’Shea linking up well and creating openings, just without the conviction in the penalty box.

Their first visiting chance came after a quarter of an hour when O’Shea’s corner was headed just over by Tom Anderson who towered over the Posh defenders.

The away side began to take control, they then had appeals for a penalty as Evans went down in the area trying to get on the end of Laurence Maguire’s teasing cross but the referee didn’t hesitate to wave it away.

Chesterfield scored a deserved equaliser after 23 minutes when Evans picked up the ball on the edge of the box and his powerful effort took a nick off the defender and sent Luke McGee the wrong way, the striker scoring his second goal in four days but his first league goal since August.

It got better for the Spireites three minutes later when O’Neil gave them the lead with a wonderful 25-yard drive that, with the help of another deflection, found its way into the top corner; just rewards for their dominance after falling behind.

It was Peterborough’s turn to respond and they did so just before the break. Nichols came close to doubling his tally when he tried to backheel Michael Smith’s low ball past Fulton but it deflected wide.

The Posh managed to equalise seconds before the half-time whistle when Edwards found space to curl in an unstoppable 25-yard stunner from distance.

The home side came out on the front-foot in the second half and Edwards tried to start the half like he finished the first but this time his long range shot was low and straight at Fulton.

That wasn’t enough to prevent a de ja vu effect as, Taylor, the best player on the pitch, rifled in another long range effort to give Grant McCann’s team the lead.

It almost got worse as Coulthirst tried to bend one in but Fulton scrambled to keep it out.

O’Shea went down the other end with a great run, he cut inside and tried to curl the ball into the top corner but it just creeped over the bar.

The game really opened up and it was becoming an unpredictable, end-to-end contest. However, it was a counter-attack which brought the sixth goal of the game as Taylor slipped in Nichols who was one-on-one with Fulton and buried the ball into the bottom corner for his second of the match.

Danny Wilson reacted by bringing on Gboly Ariyibi. The 21-year-old instantly won a corner which brought a chance as after a one-two, O’Shea crossed for Beesley who headed the ball onto the roof of the net.

There was a moment of contrasting emotions late on for Chesterfield as Maguire had to be stretchered off and was replaced by Derek Daly for his first league appearance of the season.

On the positive side, the Spireites welcomed back Conor Wilkinson who returned from a knee injury from the bench.

Fulton pulled off an excellent save to deny Andrew Hughes whose low curling freekick got through a crowded box, he was late to see it but got down excellently make a fine save but it proved to be in vain as Bostwick rifled in a fifth after the Spireites failed to clear their lines from the resulting corner.

Posh then shut up shop with the Spireites unable to further dent the home rearguard and mount a late comeback.

Peterborough United: McGee (gk) - Smith, Hughes, Bostwick, Tafazolli, Edwards (Oduwa 87'), Forrester (c), Taylor, Coulthirst (Moncur 66'), Da Silva Lopes (Inman 83'), Nichols

Subs not used: Tyler (gk), Almeida Santos, Chettle, Binnom-Williams

Chesterfield: Fulton (gk) - Maguire (Daly 71'), Evatt, Anderson, Liddle (c) - O'Neil, Dimaio, Simons (Ariyibi 66'), Beesley (Wilkinson 72') - O'Shea, Evans

Subs not used: Allinson (gk), Dennis, Hird, Morrison


Peterborough United: Nichols 1' 66', Edwards 45', Taylor 55', Bostwick 82'

Chesterfield: Evans 22'. O'Neil 25'

Advertisement block