Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Spireites Hit Eight in DCFA Senior Challenge Cup Win

13 December 2016

Sponsored by

Kristian Dennis and Ricky German both scored hat-tricks as Chesterfield recorded an emphatic 8-0 win over Aston United in the DCFA Senior Challenge Cup.

Charlie Wakefield and Derek Daly also scored as the Spireites cruised through to the quarter-finals, where they will face Matlock Town at the Proact.

The game also marked the long-awaited return of Angel Martinez, who appeared as a second-half substitute after 15 months out.

Conor Wilkinson played an early through ball to German which caused problems for the Aston defence. German was thwarted by a defender and the loose ball fell to Dennis, who cleverly dinked the ball over the stranded Chris Camm but his effort finished wide of the target.

Two minutes later more good play from Wilkinson found Curtis Morrison in the area, but his curling left-footed effort was palmed away by Camm.

Aston gradually gained a foot-hold on the game, winning several corners, the first of which saw Charlie Wakefield deflect a goal-bound effort wide before Ollie Ball headed wide from another set-piece.

But it was Chesterfield who took the lead when German (25) latched on to a through ball from Wilkinson before holding off a defender and with the outside of the boot curled his shot around Camm.

Four minutes later it was 2-0 when a Dennis pull back found German who saw his effort palmed out by Camm and the rebound fell to Morrison who unselfishly squared the ball to Wakefield, who made no mistake from close range.

Daly then added his name to the score sheet, with a well taken goal in the 34th minute. Good play down the left saw the ball find its way to Wakefield whose pass released Daly and his left-footed effort went through the legs of a defender and into the net.

Dennis was the next player to get among the goals, making it 4-0 two minutes before the interval, converting Wakefield’s cross from close range with a delicate flick into the bottom right-hand corner.

Half time Chesterfield 4 – 0 Aston United

The introduction of Angel Martinez for the impressive Wakefield gave the Spireites more impetus in the second period and from their first attack German (47) grabbed his second goal of the night. Chesterfield worked the ball down their left flank and Dennis’ first time cross found the unmarked German who slotted the ball underneath Camm.

Dennis made it 6-0 in the 50th minute, prodding home a Sam Hird header from inside the six-yard box after a corner. The striker grabbed his hat-trick two minutes later, firing into the bottom right corner of the net after receiving Morrison’s pass.

German then went close to his hat-trick after being put through by Wilkinson, however despite sending Camm the wrong way his effort went wide of the left-hand post.

Aston, to their credit, continued to battle, with midfielder Chris Beighton forcing a save from Lloyd Allinson from distance. 

At the other end, Dennis played in Wilkinson, who beat his man before lofting the ball over the bar from close range.

German finally completed his hat-trick in the 89th minute after he latched on to Angel’s superb lofted pass before firing powerfully past Camm.

The Spireites will take on Matlock in the last eight of the competition during the week commencing January 9.

Chesterfield: Allinson (gk), Ofoegbu, Wakefield (Angel 46), Hird (C), Hand, Daly, Morrison, Wilkinson (Lynam 79), Dennis, German, Rowley (Darwent 79).
Subs not used: Parkin (gk), Tipping.

Aston: Camm (gk), Ball, Marriott, Jackson, Crofts, Sanders (Watts 56), Thurman (Danby 82), Jude (C), Beighton, Slater, Wiggins (Bull 69).
Subs not used: Issac (gk), Scard.

Advertisement block